You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

An intercom question

Phill Powell 849479

Phill Powell 849479
Posted
Posted

I've followed the related postings in the fora, and from them and the wiki, it seems that the intercom function is very hit and miss.

I don't remember ever getting an intercom call to work.

When making the call, I have seen the icon go blue. Does this mean that a valid p2p connection has been established?

When someone else instigates an intercom call, I hear the phone ringing, and the icon changes colour when I accept. Same question.

I have not heard the other controller, nor do they hear me.

I have heard what I think is my voice ATIS, but of course may be the other controller's voice ATIS. Anyone else ever come across this?

I'm sure I don't have a firewall or router problem, ports opened and forwarded.

Anyone able to suggest a way of checking the connectivity?

On reflection, I have never tried without having the voice ATIS connected. I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that there shouldn't be a problem, as the voice ATIS is a VATSIM channel, not p2p.

Is there any reason why someone logged on as OBS, shouldn't be able to instigate and receive an intercom call.

Sorry it's so long winded but I really do want to be able to use this function.

Regards

Phill

Vatsim network supervisor

VATeud I1/VATeir local examiner.

Neil Farrington
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure about the OBS bit, but I believe you should forward UDP port 3291 if it's not working.

Neil Farrington

VATSIM UK

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

The G2G is p2p, and as such sometimes it will not work correctly (altho I haven't had any issue with it since the first day). These are the ports you need to forward http://euroscope.hu/mediawiki/index.php?title=Connection_Features.

Also I presume you have set the correct Secondary input/output device and PTT?

If you have a blue color (intercom, overwrite, monitor) you should have a valid connection.

As for the ATIS, this is happening if you have set the ATIS as active and the controller has done the same (you are simply tuning to his Atis voice channel).

OBS as far as my knowledge, is able to have intercom (can't have overwrite).

Phill Powell 849479
Posted
Posted

Hi Todor, Neil,

Thanks for the help.

Yes I have forwarded UDP3291 in my router and opened it in the firewall.

I know my secondary is ok because I have used it successfully.

Todor, I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say

As for the ATIS, this is happening if you have set the ATIS as active and the controller has done the same (you are simply tuning to his Atis voice channel).

Does this mean that if I was on as EGGP_TWR I wouldn't hear this if I made an intercom call to say EGGP_APP as he wouldn't have a voice ATIS (I would have it), but might hear it connected to EGCC_N_TWR as he would have his own voice atis running.

I've tried to intercom to quite a few other controllers, so next time I'm online, I'll try to find someone with a know working intercom, to eliminate anything external to my set up.

Kind regards

phill

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Phil,

Try me on Gloster Approach on a Tuesday evening.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi

Phil and I managed to sort this out on the weekend.

I'm not sure what I did to cure my issue, although i didnt realise I had one as I haven't used intercomm for sometime.

Anyway what I did do was allow euroscope to be an exception in my AVG, and then my intercom worked.

The interesting thing is without Euroscope being an exception it has worked ok since installation. I put it down to black magic.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Phill Powell 849479
Posted
Posted

Thanks Michael, that's appreciated.

Wycliffe, thanks for the reply. I only have windows XP firewall running with Avast anti virus. As far as I can tell there is nothing else running that could interfere.

I've done some port scanning and it is clear that nothing else is taking the port. Also as I start up Euroscope and connect I can see the ports have opened ON THAT PC.

I've tried using an external scanner and it looks as though when trying to check the port via my external internet address, that the request is being refused. That seems in line with the problem I have with VSL tool, where it cannot see the external ip address.

If 3291UDP is blocked by Vodafone then the intercom will never work, but I'm still puzzled, as I thought it was used in Air to Ground as a well. That certainly works fine.

Phill Powell 849479
Posted
Posted

Many thanks to Michael Pike for helping me sort out the intercom!!

What did we do?

Nothing, it worked straight away!

I can only concluded that I've never connected, via intercom, to anyone with a working setup.

Apologies to everyone for wasting your time.

If anyone wants to validate an intercom connection in the future, just give me a bell!

Thanks again.

Phill

Neil Farrington
Posted
Posted

I've got my intercom working now (almost). For some reason the first person I intercom, I can hear them but they can't hear me, but after that everyone but that person is fine! If anyone has a solution I'd be grateful, but as it stands if that's the only problem I'm happy.

Neil Farrington

VATSIM UK

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Interesting. I've just checked my router configuration again and noticed that I was only forwarding 3290, not 3291. I have a feeling that there would be a time out on my use of Intercom. I have used Monitor in the past and I remember now that it does stop working after about 10 minutes or so. Intercom is not usually open for that long of course.

I have now changed the config to forward 3290 and 3291 TCP and UDP. Watch out! I'll be testing the Monitor function over the next week. I know different makes of router work differently and have different time-out periods so this may be contributing to variations in the results people are seeing if the port forwarding is not configured.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK