You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Taxiing with other traffic

Aaron Presnal 1165906

Aaron Presnal 1165906
Posted
Posted

For some reason, when I'm taxiing, I appear to be underground and all the other traffic can only see my tail sticking out of the ground, and I see the traffic hovering and floating above ground. Whats wrong, and can I fix it?

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Make sure you turn off "Runways follow terrain contours" in X-plane. Microsoft does not have this option and that's likely why people see you underground.

That will solve most of the problems. You may still occasionally see another aircraft that looks wrong, but you just have to chalk that up to differences in MSFS and X-plane.

Aaron Presnal 1165906
Posted
Posted

okay, yeah, i decided to turn it on so it would be more realistic, but it won't hurt if i turn it off

Chris Kawchuk 1129097
Posted
Posted

Also:

Ensure you have the right Altimeter settings for the current weather. do a ".metar KLAX" (for Los Angeles, for example) in the chat window, and ensure you've set your local altimeter properly. Most likely, everyone else is at the right height, and they see you sunken below the pavement; as your altimeter settings aren't the same as what everyone else is set to... hence the "reported altitude" of your aircraft (and other aircraft) is wrong. Sometimes, there's simply an inconsistency with the way FSinn, Squawkbox, Xsquawkbox etc (and other VATSIM clients) report their altitude and model placement. They're "close", but there will always be variation between VATSIM clients for now. (i.e. +/- 10 feet or so)

- CK.

Aaron Presnal 1165906
Posted
Posted

I changed the settings so that the runways are flat and don't match the terrain, and that seemed to fix it

Aaron Presnal 1165906
Posted
Posted

I changed the settings so that the runways are flat and don't match the terrain, and that seemed to fix it