You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What do you do? Flying without ATC

Robert Bernstein 1106839

Robert Bernstein 1106839
Posted
Posted

Hi all. Often I fly online but no live ATC is available. So, when approaching a destination airport and finding out that the arrival runway is different from what you expected, do you:

a). Get out your charts and modify the FMC to fixes approaching the new runway?

b). Use the auto-ATC and just follow the robot instructions to the new runway?

Thanks...-Bob.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

already answered

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=51357

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

That said at an uncontrolled airport how can the arrival runway be different than what you expected, you're the one making the decision.

As for flying on VATSIM using AI ATC isn't recommended, it doesn't make good decisions to begin with nor does it make considerations for other traffic, you're better off flying the full approach or the visual.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Chris Kawchuk 1129097
Posted
Posted

a). Get out your charts and modify the FMC to fixes approaching the new runway?

Bingo.

do a .metar about 150 nmi out; you usually just need to tack on the appropriate STAR into your already existing FMC route.

For eample, Vancouver -> Calgary, I have:

ADSIX KESTA KETTL J504 HOWZR OPALE HANDA

Once i'm around HOWZR, I check CYYC's weather, and then tack on the appropriate STAR to get me to the correct runway. I also have previously saved many of the STARs I regularily fly into the FMC saved files (i.e. a file called "CYYC - HANDA5 - RWY16") which would take me right through the HANDA5 arrival and line me up with ILS for RWY 16.

- CK.