You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Auto thrust and GS

Robert Bernstein 1106839

Robert Bernstein 1106839
Posted
Posted

HI. I was playing around with the autothrust setting and wanted the autopilot to fly the plane automatically and manage the autothrust down to landing. Something went haywire when I approached the FAF I had the autothrust set to 250 IAS. I was established on the localizer and then the GS, but the autothrust didnt seem to reduce for landing. What was I doing wrong? Thanks. -Bob.

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

you have to reduce speed yourself.

I.E dial in the wanted speed into the Autothrottle window.

f1cert.gif

Robert Bernstein 1106839
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks.. somewhere along the line I got the impression that the autothrottle would adjust the approach speed automatically. -Bob.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

If it is VNAV enabled with a full on FMC, then it will adjust auto throttle once the approach speeds are set and even set it to idle during flare. Default XPlane FMC can't do that. You will need the payware ones!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Robert Bernstein 1106839
Posted
Posted

I see. So, it depends upon the FMC and the plane whether it has that autothrottle capability. That would be nice, but I dont think mine has it. Oh well. -Bob.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Yes, basically planes with autoland capability. FMC is just the configuration tool/computer to set it up . I do know one plane which didn't have an FMC but still had auto-land with full auto-throttle management, the Concorde. I am sure there were others from that era that were fully capable, I just don't know them.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Robert Bernstein 1106839
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the explanation Charan. -Bob.