You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

60 FPS issue...

Giles Hacon 947416

Giles Hacon 947416
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I have been searching for a fix to this issue my PC has.

My system (Using 9800gtx+) runs into issues with FS2004 and FSX every time the FPS differs from 60.

If the FPS are set to 30 or unlimited (or any other setting other than 60) strange skipping/stutters happen when moving or panning in the sim. Should the performance drop below 60fps the same issues happen? My system should easily be able to keep up with FS2004, however, should the FPS drop from 60, everything becomes very choppy.

When the FPS are at a constant 60, everything is very smooth, no issues.

I think this has something to do with Vsync and my LCD's refresh rate of 60HZ. If I set Vsync to off, FS2004 is smooth at varying FPS settings. However major texture tearing/zooming effects and scenery spikes occur with Vsync off, so its not really possible to use with Vsync off.

I have tried triple buffering and changing graphics drivers (newer, older and latest), all have the same effect. No background programs or antivirus are running.

I am thinking of swapping graphics cards and buying an ATI however I am not sure if they too have this same issue.

I have tested FS2004 on my mates GTX260 system, and he suffers from the same issues.

When you guys run flight sim, can you notice any difference in the smoothness of panning when FPS are at 60 and when frames are at say 40?

System specs are:

Core i7 860

Nvidia 9800gtx+

4GB DDR3 ram.

320GB SATA HDD.

Windows Vista 64bit.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

you shouldnt even be able to notice much of any stutters even around 30.

doesnt really sound like a frame rate issue IMO, probably a loading issue instead thats causing short little micro pauses, you can notice those even with 100fps.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

Is VSync on?

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

Lock your frames at 40

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Use an external FPS limiting program and keep it on UNLIMITED on FSX settings.

People say this considerably improves frame rates.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted
Use an external FPS limiting program and keep it on UNLIMITED on FSX settings.

People say this considerably improves frame rates.

Ivan

Please explain what is the diffrence between a third party addon being set at unlimited and FSX being set at unlimited. Your statement as it stands makes no sense at all, without evidence or explanation.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

No data to back this up, but it may be an effect similar to the reason you let the external video settings handle the anti-aliasing.

If the sim isn't freaked out about limiting (which we've found out can cause slower performance than leaving it to unlimited), but at the same time is limited in frame renders, it can focus more on rendering other things (like scenery and flight dynamics) than frames without having to expend the extra effort to limit frame rates itself.

Again, no data whatsoever, but in my limited understanding I could see some plausibility to the statement. Would be worth testing to see if there was any merit.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Well compared to a first person shooter FSX does suffer from those issues but it's mainly still playable. Ie it shouldn't bother you all that much.

What are you using for AntiAliasing settings?