You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ICAO Airport and Airlines Data Files

Rob Killins 897126

Rob Killins 897126
Posted
Posted

What is the purpose of the ICAO aircraft and airport files?

Where can I get an ICAO Airlines data and ICAO Airports data file for use with Euroscope? I did a google search and any reference to such came up unavailable. I may consider making one of my own, but am not sure of the formatting of the file.

• 2 weeks later...
Jens Leo Iversen 1155061
Posted
Posted

I find this site useful:

http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/airlcodesearch.asp

From the top menu you can choose if you want to look up an aircraft code, an airline code, an airpost code, etc.

Both IATA codes and ICAO codes are supported

Rob Killins 897126
Posted
Posted

Thank you Jens ,,, I have found that website useful as well.

Todor, thanks for pointing me in the direction for the airlines.txt file. I'm not certian though I understand your suggestion for the airports.txt file.

Can anyone explain what purpose these two files have in relation to the use of Euroscope? I know without them one gets a message that they are missing, but I haven't lost any functionality without having them. Do they serve a practical purpose ... is there a reason why they should be available to ES?

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

The ICAO_Airports.txt file is used to show the full name of the airport of destination and departure, when you open the electronic flight strip. I was suggesting to check the folder of FSNavigator for that file if you have it.

The ICAO_Airlines.txt is used to show the ICAO Radio Callsign for a flight plan callsign, in the status bar below: BAW = Speed Bird.

• 1 month later...
Jens Leo Iversen 1155061
Posted
Posted

Thanks, this is very useful information, Todor!

Actually I just found out yesterday "by accident" that the flight strip is where that information is displayed. I started to use EuroScope in May this year and I am now waiting for checkout as S2. In all these months I have used a separate spreadsheet where I have collected the most used aircraft codes, airport codes, callsigns, etc., in order to familiarize myself with the "full size" descriptions behind the ICAO codes displayed elsewhere in ES.

While I am waiting for checkout I thought I'd better read the Euroscope manual from start to end. That is how I became aware of the information in the flight strip. It would have been a great help to know this essential information before. Maybe it should be emphasized earlier in the manual in the next revision.

My advice to all mentors and trainers: Go through the information in the flight strip early in the training.