You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Best method to add new fixes to existing FMS plan

Phillip Kurus

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted

I ran into something today that I'll bet probably happens a lot.

After departure on an IFR plan and being handed over to Center, I was told that I was cleared "Direct to NEWFIX." (I don't remember the actual fix name.)

The problem was, this fix was not part of my filed flight plan. I was not able to hit NEXT to get to it, then hit D->, because it wasn't there.

What's the best way to handle this? I'm using the stock FMS.

Simply click FIX while still in the current plan segment then enter the new fix name?

And how do we know it's a FIX, and not a VOR or NDB?

Finally, some fixes/waypoints have more than the five character limit of the FIX input. For example, SADDE6, near KLAX. Now what?

(I think I may know the answer to this one--SADDE6 isn't really a fix, but a process? Either way, how do we get the FMS to see it?)

Many thanks in advance.

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

If you are cleared to a waypoint that isn't on your cleared route (note this may be different from your filed route and you shouldn't accept a route without reviewing it and preparing your NAV equipment for it) you should object immediately and ask for clarification. Keep in mind that CTR may be clearing you to a fix on an airway for example a common route from SAN is: PEBLE3.SXC.LAX.J9.FFU...etc If traffic is light you may get cleared direct LAS as it is on the airway and a shortcut. As for knowing what kind of fix it is these can be determined from the enroute charts (skyvector.com) if you review your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned route there won't be many surprises.

As for the SADDE6 advanced FMCs will be able to fly arrivals from a selection of arrivals, however, the stock FMC is not capable of that. You would have to input each fix manually (provided you update the Nav database here: http://data.x-plane.com/get_data.html) and it should be able to track the arrival, however some arrivals can't be handled by the FMC (doesn't have the fixes, too many variables, etc.) in which case you will intervine and fly the plane or use conventional navigation to navigate along the arrival.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

You should definately try the CAX FMS..

New York ARTCC

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Use the CalAir FMS plugin, which allows you to type in your route via keyboard, rather than clicking on the screen:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5202

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted
If you are cleared to a waypoint that isn't on your cleared route (note this may be different from your filed route and you shouldn't accept a route without reviewing it and preparing your NAV equipment for it) .

But wouldn't Delivery (or its equivalent) already have told me if there were a change to my plan?

How is it possible to check whether my cleared route is different from my filed route?

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted
Use the CalAir FMS plugin, which allows you to type in your route via keyboard, rather than clicking on the screen:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5202

Yes, I found that a few days ago. I haven't used it, really, since generally I'll use this excellent "waypoint calculator"-- http://www.gkpnet.net/x-plane/Resources/xpwp.php -- after finding a route online via Simroutes or another source. Copy and paste to the calculator, review it using the Google Map function, then save it as an XP FMS file using the Save As function. Load the result into the FMS and it's off to the races.

Under that scenario, for me the CalAir tool looks like a real time-saver for modifying while enroute...as in the situation I described at the top.

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
If you are cleared to a waypoint that isn't on your cleared route (note this may be different from your filed route and you shouldn't accept a route without reviewing it and preparing your NAV equipment for it) .

But wouldn't Delivery (or its equivalent) already have told me if there were a change to my plan?

How is it possible to check whether my cleared route is different from my filed route?

Your filed route is just whatever you filed on your flight plan.

Your cleared route is what Delivery says in your IFR clearance. This may be different than what you filed, if they need to tweak something, or if they have a preferred routing they'd like you to follow, etc. If Delivery clears you for whatever you had filed, then they're both the same.

I think Jason's point is that the time to sort out your cleared route (and all fixes along the way) is on the ground, when you can be staring at charts and such. Once you're in the air, if the controller clears you to a point not along your cleared route, feel free to say unable, or ask for vectors. This isn't to suggest that you should object to say, a waypoint along an airway that you filed—you should be aware of everything along the path that you filed, not just the endpoints in your flight plan.

Say you filed FIXAA J123 FIXEE, and the controller clears you direct FIXCC. [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming FIXCC is along J123, you should know where it is and how to fly directly there. Maybe the area around FIXAA is congested, or maybe it'd just be faster for all involved to clear you to a fix that's slightly further away. Alternatively, we may vector you to intercept the airway even if there's no fix at that spot, as you should be able to join the airway at any point, either with standard VOR navigation or with a GPS/FMC. If you're not up to it, always feel free to say unable, and work something else out with the controller.

8942.png

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted
If Delivery clears you for whatever you had filed, then they're both the same.

Whew. That's what I thought.

So in the flight that prompted all this, when the controller cleared me direct to WHATEVER, which was not in my flight plan (open on another screen for review on my side), then apparently he was clearing me to another fix farther on in the airway.

I've yet to open an airway chart. Guess that's next in the ol' self-study curriculum, lest "unable" become my middle name.

Thanks.

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
If Delivery clears you for whatever you had filed, then they're both the same.

So in the flight that prompted all this, when the controller cleared me direct to WHATEVER, which was not in my flight plan (open on another screen for review on my side), then apparently he was clearing me to another fix farther on in the airway.

Could very well be, yeah.

I've yet to open an airway chart. Guess that's next in the ol' self-study curriculum, lest "unable" become my middle name.

I got myself paper charts for the local area where I control and fly (B.C.), and just ordered charts for the rest of Canada too, 'cause Canada isn't well covered by the online chart sites. For flying in the US, though, runwayfinder.com and the like should give you all you need.

8942.png

Phillip Kurus
Posted
Posted
For flying in the US, though, runwayfinder.com and the like should give you all you need.

Yet another online source I was unaware of. Thanks!

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted
'cause Canada isn't well covered by the online chart sites.

Charts for Canada

Check the CAC for Canadian terminal charts.

Enroute Charts here.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
'cause Canada isn't well covered by the online chart sites.

Charts for Canada

Check the CAC for Canadian terminal charts.

Enroute Charts here.

I was referring to sites like runwayfinder and skyvector and such, that'll plot out a course for you on recently updated charts, let you zoom in/out easily, etc. Canada is poorly covered on those. Enroute PDF charts tend to gobble up precious resources and screen real estate, so I prefer paper ones while I'm flying.

This is, however, the first place I've found the Lo7/8 online in any form, so thank you—even Gander/Moncton doesn't provide them, that I could see. As for the CAP, I have copies of the 2010 PDFs that were released by NavCan, if you'd like to update them—[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you have anything to do with CZUL, that is.

8942.png