You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Looking for info; HHMS, Massawa, Eritrea.

Stephen Plumb 1108305

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

Having noticed the Fs9 version is outdated (the depicted location has been built over by the town), I'm working on a re-creation of the correct one north of the city. I'll try to include a means to exclude or delete the original obsolete one.

I have some decent satellite/aerial shots, and have recreated the runway/taxiway/ramp layout as accurately as possible with the info at hand. What I need are taxi/parking diagrams, and ILS freqs if applicable. Also, some pics of the buildings if possible, so I can find or make an accurate duplication. If I have to resort to stock buildings/objects, I'd still like to make them as close as possible to those at the actual airport.

If I can find the necessary info, I can upload to Avsim/Flightsim a decent scenery that replicates the current facility. I'm no scenery genius, but I think I can put together something worth installing for those who frequent that region and need a viable alternate with 11,500 or so feet of runway and fuel.

I'd appreciate any degree of [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

Thank you

Steve

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

I will forward your request to our Developer.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

VATSIM Africa Middle East

http://www.vatame.net

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

Thank you sir.

Christian Iber
Posted
Posted

Hi Stephen,

I sent a PM to you via the forum concerning your request.

Chris

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

PM reply sent.

Thanks again!

• 4 months later...
Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

Update; Scenery is uploaded to flightsim.com and avsim.com.

Creating the scenery was one thing; eliminating the old was quite another. I accomplished this by removing a 4-airport default .BGL, and replacing those fields manually. Everything needed for this is in the package, including a replacement default .BGL file to put everything back. With the addition of 3 object libraries (listed in the ReadMe), it's ready to go.

Hope you like, enjoy!

Steve

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much! I will post a NOTAM in our Division Forum as well.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

You're welcome, but Christian Iber was a huge help as well; the info he was able to give regarding gate layout & parking was crucial. To be honest, I feel I should have mentioned him in the Readme.

At any rate, I'd love to see this field get some action online!

Thomas Mathieu 998318
Posted
Posted

You can always release an update later to include Chris in the readme. Believe me, Christian Iber has provided much research and and information for Africa and we thank him for his exceptional efforts. Again, thank you for the scenery package. Its is the great efforts like yours that will help pilots come "Discover Africa" and all it's beauty.

Best Regards,

Thomas Mathieu

VATAME1 Region Director

[email protected]

TMSIGVATAME.png

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

You are welcome!

To be honest, this all started with my first online Round-the-World, in the Fs9 default Vega. I stopped at M[Mod - Happy Thoughts]awa because it was a convenient jump-off point for the long haul to the Maldives, and because Amelia had stopped there on her trip. It was windy and getting dark, and it wasn't an easy landing.

I found out that field was closed IRL, and there was a new one nearby...but no scenery was available. And I had neither software nor clue how to make one. I had read about the region, and found it fascinating. I finally decided I had to do it, and this is the result.

One positive note; the scenery has been downloaded quite a few times from flightsim.com and avsim, so it could draw some traffic, who knows?