You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

512 outperforms 1GB

Charan Kumar

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted (edited)

I recently plunked down the money to get a GTX 465 SC when it came out with a decent rebate. This one is the 1GB DDR5 and my old card was the 8800 GTS 512 DDR3.

Unfortunately, recently, I think after I tried a Demo of some FPS tuner program, the display got affected where only the textures below the acft were rendered clear and anything around it was blurry. Top down looked awesome, and look out side the window or spot view sux. I tried a lot of retuning, including deleting the fsx.cfg to no avail. This happens with/without photo scenery, UTX or not and even with the default textures.

Just before giving up and spending a few days to uninstall and re-install the whole slew of FSX and it's add-ons, I decided to plug in the old card and try it. To my shock, the textures displayed absolutely brilliant with the same fsx.cfg, albeit lower fps. So bad, that I can't complete a full flight even in the freeware acft or default planes. I tried lowering the settings but without much luck. So I really want to plug in the newer card. Apart from the blurry textures, it handled everything I threw at it, even all sliders to the right with a host of add-ons (listed below).

I have never used nHancer, so that was never a problem. In both cards, I used the latest drivers as applicable for them. I am going to switch back and try again today, but was looking to the experts here to give me some suggestions so I can try and avoid the re-installation, which at this point I am convinced won't do me any good, but u never know.

System specs:

Q4C 9600 2.66 Ghz (not overclocked)

nVidia 750 SLI MotherBoard

8GB RAM Corsair 3200

300 GB 7200rpm Seagate Sata drive (OS is on it's own drive, maybe IDE)

Samsung 27" LCD Monitor running at 1900x1200x32 resolution

ASUS 23" monitor connected as second display

Software

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit (up-to-date on Windows update)

FSX SP2

REX OD

UTX+GEX

Photo Scenery textures from Vero FS for SF area (same result even without this)

MegaScenery for all of CAL area.

This occurs with Real Air, FSL Concorde, LvlD 767, and the freeware B350 and C172 too, although interestingly, none of the aircraft textures suffer. I will add a picture later after I switch the boards again tonight. I have to use the HIGHMEMFIX without which the Concorde textures suffers. But I tried without that and it still didn't make a difference on the scenery textures.

Tks in advance for any help.

EDIT: Pic the blurry textures are just off to the left wing, you can see the rest of the pic is absolutely beautiful.

5053093615_05613d38ac_b.jpg

After a few trouble shooting steps, it looks like the problem is the card and it's driver. I tried rolling back all the way to 197 drivers, still with no luck. No matter what I do, removing anisotropic also all the way down to Null, using nHancer etc gave no better results. Totally out of ideas now.

Cheers!!

Edited by Guest

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

Latest forceware drivers have a look, one of the newer betas might resolve the issue.

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

One bit of info you left out of your specs Charan:

What version of Windows do you run and is it 32bit or 64bit? (I'm going to guess that it's 64bit given that you say you are running 8GB of RAM).

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

I am sorry, you are right George, it is the Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit (updated the original post above too). And the card is a 1GB DDR5, not 3 as I said earlier. It used to look good on the 8800 GTS 512, which I can't make it happen anymore. No matter what I do, I can't get that even by switching to the older card(s).

One other update is, I tried using nHancer too with Nick's (simforums) recommendations, even that didn't cut it, with 3 different versions, I tried 197.45, 257.21 and the latest 258.96.

Erhan, thanks for that link, I didn't know where to find the beta.

Till CTP is over, I am going to avoid reinstall as it takes a while with all the add-ons, then I will give it a shot. But before that, I shall try the drivers.

If there is any other suggestion, please do let me know, I am willing to give it a try if I can avoid the re-installation. I will post back after the beta drivers test.

Cheers and thanks!!

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted (edited)

Charan

Sorry but I'm finding it hard to even see the blurries your talking about perhaps a highlight around the are. I wouldnt worry to much as that image loosk just dandy.

Wycliffe

Edited by Guest

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

I was thinking somebody was going to say that. It is pretty remarked when u look at it from the sim. I will post another angle later tonight. You will clearly see the tiles demarked.

To put it in perspective, if you looked at the far off areas, like the other side of the bay, you will notice blurred textures, which wasn't the case earlier, it would show some texture, not just blurred. Also, those patches of red and orange are much more bright and pronounced when I am closer, it would be the next tile that will get loaded even if I was 4-5 miles ahead.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Ok, tried some updates from the website Erhan gave. 260.63, machine would not even complete booting, stuck at welcome screen. 259.21 didn't fix the problem either. I am not sure what is causing this!!

At one point during earlier testing, I was able to turn off the filtering by setting to None instead of Anisotropic and got all the textures loaded (looked horrible), can't do that anymore too. *sigh*

I didn't take the additional screenshots as promised as this consumed most of my available time in the evening between reboots and testing.

Any suggestions/ideas are most welcome!!

Cheers!!

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Just an off chance, but is there an option in FSX (like FS9 has) to extend ground textures?

Cheers!

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted
Hi,

Just an off chance, but is there an option in FSX (like FS9 has) to extend ground textures?

Cheers!

Can you elaborate? You are not asking about add-on ground textures like GEX or photo scenery right?

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted

If you're getting blurry textures, try INCREASING the maximum frame rate. FS9 certainly only loaded texture bitmaps on a per-frame basis, so a higher frame rate would actually mean more time dedicated to texture loading. If you're hitting the frame rate limit consistently, try increasing it more and see if it makes a difference.

Worked for me going from 20FPS to 26FPS max.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi Luke,

that was one of Nick's suggestion in his tuning thread too, which I tried, everything from 20 FPS to unlimited, incrementing upto 60 then unlimited. Texture_max_loads 9 30, TBM from 70 thru 400, none of them made any change. Initially it looked like a card problem, but even when I restore the old card and old drivers which was working fine before, I still seem to get that problem. Now I am not sure what is causing the problem.

260.63 includes what is called a clean install for nVidia drivers. If there was one to clean everything out so I can install fresh nVidia drivers, I can maybe try all these again.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Erhan, that's just awesome...I will try them this weekend....cheers!!