You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice Problems

Chaz Bauer 814382

Chaz Bauer 814382
Posted
Posted

Can someone help me figure out my voice problem? I am running SquawkBox on two pc's. I have MSFS on one pc and Squawkbox on the other. I have registered FSUIPC and WideServer running and connected correctly. Everytime I tune to a controller who has voice, i can talk to him 5by5 for aprox 3 min then I go silent. I still hear the squelch of the text messages thru my headset when someone types a message but I don't get any voice from the contoller. I then haveto tune my com 1 away from the active freq wait 10 sec and tune back and again i get voice 5by5 for aprox 3 min just to repaet the process again. Is there something i have set up in SB incorrectly? Is anyone else having this issue?

If noone know what is happening here, is there a way to disable SB voice so I can use RogerWilco for Voice. I do not get these problems when I use RW. If i use the two together now, it logs me into the voice channel twice, 1 for SB and 1 for RW. I then hear echoes from all pilots and controller. Is there a way to disable the voice in SB so I can use RW only?

Please someone help me?

Thanks

Chaz Bauer

[email protected]

Dave Wild
Posted
Posted

Hi Chaz,

I can't offer any real help except to say I have used the 2 PC setup you describe for years and have not experienced the problem you are having.

I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume your headset is plugged into the PC running SB?

The only other thing I can think of is are you using a USB headset?

I don't have one but I wonder if your PC is sending it to sleep for power saving?

Open Device Manager and find the USB hub to which your headset is connected, right click and select Properites, then open the Power Management tab and untick the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device..'

Good luck.

Michael Bevington 814931
Posted
Posted

Chaz,

Have you tried pecking the transmit key to see if it restores the incoming voice? I have that issue with voice dropping out myself, when it does, pecking the transmit key briefly will always bring it back.

Dave, good tip on the USB power management. I just checked mine over on the laptop where I run SB3 and found no power management option on the specific USB headset entry, but there was one on the main USB hub. So I changed the option to not allow it to be put to sleep. I will have to see if it changes anything.

Mike Bevington

http://vatsim.net/prc

Dave Wild
Posted
Posted

Yes Mike, the power management is on the root hub not on the device hub, it can be a bu**er to find the correct hub.

Perhaps the best solution is to turn off power management for all USB hubs, especially on a desktop PC.

Ross Moir 844817
Posted
Posted

Hello Chaz ,

It sounds like you are having an " Idle Timeout". I copied this information from the VATPAC site , it may help to solve your problems .

Idle timeout is just as important. Most routers have the ability to close a port if it is not used for a specific length of time. This comes into play if you are using a voice client and do not transmit for some time, the router will close the port on you. The end result is you lose transmissions, you can still hear people but they can't hear you. To avoid this you need to keep the port active. The two ways of doing this are to either set the idle timeout to zero or intermittently key the microphone. Obviously the former is the more desirable route. Some router manufacturers take different views on this aspect. It is indisputable that leaving an idle port open all the time is undesirable. For this reason some manufacturers do not allow you to reduce the setting to zero. You just have to hope that the longest time setting available to you is longer than the longest period you'll ever go between transmissions, of which there is probably little chance on a long haul over water or trans-continental flight.

Ross Moir

Taxiway ALPHA Landing Expert