You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX Won't Boot

Richard Stevens 1116018

Richard Stevens 1116018
Posted
Posted

Howdy All,

As the subject suggests, FSX won't boot up. During my longer adventures (Peoria, IL to Chicago, IL) the last 2 or 3 times it froze up on me, and now I can't get back in.

What's Up?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

probably a corrupt DLL. uninstall FSX. then go into your program files folders, delete the entire FS folder if anything is left behind. then reinstall.

that normally will take care of any corrupt files.

do you get any error reports or it just does nothing? not even the opening screen?

backup your addons before doing the above, especially your payware, youll have to reinstall them again

Richard Stevens 1116018
Posted
Posted

What's so odd about it is that I installed FSX a week ago, and other than SP1, and Acceleration, there have been no other downloads.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
probably a corrupt DLL.

How often do you think DLLs get corrupted? We're talking a modern hard drive and file system, not the Nigerian government.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

probably as often as people downloading things they shouldnt it does happen tho so theres no point in completely disregarding the possibility

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Luke - reminds me of a story I heard about the USSR and computers recently. They had these systems that were tracking cattle as they were being shipped around, and suddenly the programs started crashing every night at a particular time. When the techs would test the systems the following morning, the programming all ran perfectly. Turned out that they had begun shipping cattle in from the areas around Chernobyl, and the radioactivity in the train cars going past the building housing the machines was managing to flip bits in memory and crashing out the programming.

Just popped into my head when you mentioned corrupt DLLs and Nigeria. Your random thought of the day.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Why do I feel, that story is just an urban myth.

I think a check on Spokes.com might me warranted.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Maybe, fun story though.

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Before deleting and uninstalling, remove FSX.cfg and try starting FSX.

Regards, Opher Ben Peretz

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg