You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Air Race

Nathan Rhodes 1089772

Nathan Rhodes 1089772
Posted
Posted

I recently had an idea of putting on some type of air race! I was thingking of starting it on a saturday morning and having the distance take about the entire weekend. Would mostly like to be flown in some type of turbo prop aircraft, I will most likely fly the Pilatus PC-12. The cities I have considered so far are leaving from Miami and making a few stops on the way and ending in Anchorage; however if you have any other ideas i am up to any suggestions. No reward or anything for the winner, other than saying that you won. lol. The winner will be chosen by the first person to land at the destination airport, take off from the original departure will try to be as close as possible to keep it fair, but shouldnt play too much of a role. Once agaion just let me know if you have any interest at all or if you have any other suggestions to make this better. This is literaly an idea I had on the way to cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] today so it is not the most thought out! lol

Thanks and I look forward to see ing you in the skies!... in my rearview mirror of course!

Nate Rhodes

N8452-FDC386

Tony Vienonen 1136602
Posted
Posted

I've thought of something like this before. My line of thinking was more like the IROC (International Race of Champions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Race_of_Champions) where everyone flies the same plane. And to make it fair, everyone has to have an identical aircraft.cfg file. Because, some people, like me, know how to tweak the aircraft.cfg just enough to get the upper hand.

Another thing would be to have the race sanctioned by VATSIM or vatsim controllers. That way, if you are having a race to a specific Intersection, the controller would, in a sense, be the referee or judge as to who arrived there first.

tvieno.gif1136602.jpg

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

This could be an inter VA or inter VSOA race, where you could have an F-16 from as many VSOA's as we want complete the route above, but with AAR refueling coming into play as well as maybe some arial combat.

2vuh2cx.gif

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

they usually do them over at fseconomy in the Caribbean

cheap plug, but so be it

Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

I'm curious how well this sort of thing would work. I've tried flying as a flight with a buddy of mine, and we both had different representations of "who's in front." He said he was ahead of me by .5 miles, and I showed him 1.5 miles behind.

Maybe that's abnormal, but if not it seems like a race might be difficult.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

unless im mistaken, thats not the type of race that was mentioned. the type Nathan mentioned is the type where the course is a series of airports, whoever lands at all of them first would be the winner. kinda like a cross country race

red bull type racing is a different story. it can be done tho

Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

My brain immediately stuck on "red bull" type racing. I think I just want it to be true, so badly.

Tony Vienonen 1136602
Posted
Posted

The Red Bull type is what I was imagining too. But racing from airport to airport would be doable as well. The only drawback, I think, would be who lands first, unless you have parallel runways. That is why I suggested p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing a Waypoint or Intersection and having a third party judge.

Unless the type of race is a race against time. If pilot A took 2:43 to go from KLAX to KPHX, pilot B took 2:41, and pilot C took 2:36 but all the pilots would be flying at staggered times. Pilot A would take off at 12:30z, B 12:40z, and C 12:50z. And you could use VATSIM (vataware maybe) as the authority, so no third-party would have to be involved.

Also like I said above, either everyone has the same aircraft (and/or aircraft.cfg) or there should be a cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ification of planes.

Single Prop

Single Turbo Prop

Multi engine

Multi engine turbo

you get the picture.

but also of weight (empty) cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es too, if they apply.

tvieno.gif1136602.jpg