You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Computer freezing

Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

various things that can cause it. lack of memory, heat, etc..

if its happening on various programs. could be hardware related.

if its windows, start backing your files up, might be about that time for a format

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

1. What hardware do you have?

2. What O/S are you running?

3. When you say the applications(s) freeze, does the application(s) lock up permanently (requiring you to manually kill the app) or is it more like momentary freezes?

4. Does the O/S generate an error message?

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

do you have a cooling pad running under it to help keep temps down?

definitely backup your files, reformat and see if that helps and last ditch take it back to bestbuy and see if you fried a couple components

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

do you have it overclocked? that can cause it too

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

What I suggest you try first, is when you boot up the computer, start the task manager and make note of your CPU utilization and memory usage from the Performance tab. Next take a look at what applications are running. While leaving the task manager running, start a suspect application, and then note the CPU/Memory usage.

If during this time the app freezes, check the Application tab in the Task Manager, and see if it is reporting that it is not responding. From this tab you should be able kill it and return to the desktop normally.

Finally after the program has crashed, open the event viewer ( + R then type eventvwr.msc) and under the Application tree, look for any red error messages.

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Are there any error messages in the event viewer? Look at both Application and System logs.

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Well if you want you can export the logs into a comma delim text file, using the export option in the event viewer, and copy and paste only the bad boys, or you can use the "save-as" option (which is binary) and email them. The second option would allow me to examine the details of each and every error, but may I suggest we start with the text file first. BTW you will need to export a different file for the Application and System logs as MS doesn't do a full log dump in one command (at least not to my knowledge).

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor