You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

It stops here

Steven Cullen

Steven Cullen
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

This forum was opened for members to share their screenshots with other members, showing off some VATSIM flights and interesting destinations they have visited, and the alike. Recently a small number of the membership have decided (whether intentionally or not) that they need to point out shortcomings in screenshots, as THEY see them.

This MUST stop now or replies will be disabled. By all means please make a comment, you can even make a suggestion on how to make an improvement, but please do not bash another persons efforts. You do not know their situation, what type of specs they have on their PC and a myriad of other factors that can influence the outcome. Many new members post here showing there first flight, imagine how you would feel if it was "shot down".

I hate it when I am forced to start quoting the Code of Conduct and Regulations, but members must remember that the forums are also covered by these docomeents.

Thank you, and I look forward to seeing many more wonderful screenshots in the future.

Steven

• Like 1

Patrick Van Der Nat 111294
Posted
Posted

Hear, Hear...

I would hate to see the replies being disabled, let's hope we can keep things friendly and carry on sharing screen shots with each other.

PS. If it does come to the point when replies need to be disabled, perhaps we can implement some kind of rating system instead, like a 1 to 5 star rating or something similar? Just an idea.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

A rating system would be nice anyway.

Instead of blocking replies here, if the situation continues why not selectively block people from replying?

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Instead of blocking replies here, if the situation continues why not selectively block people from replying?

If we did that, someone would have to be judge, jury and executioner, deciding who can and cannot participate. That's just asking for trouble ...

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

James White
Posted
Posted

Are we not allowed to give constructive criticism? Just because the person who puts the photo up thinks it strong criticism against the photo itself, many can see it as constructive criticism. One person will see it as constructive criticism, one may not.

Kind Regards,

James White 1054550

VATPAC C1 ENR Controller

2168683.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

theres a difference between being constructive and disruptive. one can be constructive without bullying others.

if in doubt, keep it to yourself

• Like 1

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

So it comes down to

"If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

If I see a screenshot I like, I comment.

If I see a screenshot I dislike, I do not comment.

And I know f.i my screenshots are not up to the standard but I don't make them

to show off my supercomputer or superplane, or my knowledge of making pictures,

or my editing skills, or whatever.

I make them to share what I saw and what impressed me enough to give me the idea

others might like to see that as well.

f1cert.gif

Ian Oliver
Posted
Posted

Regrettably, very few people can give critique these days (critique != critism)

If you do comment, then please avoid the "nice!" type of comments: what really works is the "hamburger method" which involves:

1. What do you like about the image

2. What don't you like

3. Ideas, suggestions and a recap of the good points

Never critisise the effort of making an image - as one poster pointed out you don't know what settings, circomestances etc the poster was using at the time. A hastily taken image with all settings on low in FS9 might trump one with all settings high with a top-end graphics card in FSX.

Remember any image posted here is because the poster though ," Hey! That looks cool! " (or similar)

Ian

Andrew Erhardt 963357
Posted
Posted

My Two Cents....

I think criticism is fine, as long as it's not used to insult the user, or hurt their feelings. For Example, tips to edit screenshots to make them look better, or tweaking video card settings. It helps the user be able to deliver better content, so even more people can enjoy.

Andrew Erhardt

ZLC ARTCC I1 | Webmaster

Network Supervisor

Twitter: @andrewerhardt

Frode Skibrek 989663
Posted
Posted

I dont care for throwing in only two cents.... I toss in whole 100dollar bills, so here we go.

First of all... If a small minority off "forum-trolls" should be the reason for totally blocking comments,that would be a BIG shame. That would not send a good message outwards in the community wich i have come to love.

The second thing i am thinking of, and i KNOW i will get shot after for saying this, but the age-limit for VATSIM is currently 13 as far as i know. That is in my opinion WAY to low. Many 13 year olds have no internet-conduct at all, and feels free to do and fly however they like,i have seen many examples of this online lately unfortunately. How about raising the bar to 15-16 years? Then they have possibillity to train and read and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]imilite themselves really good with the rules, since many 13 year olds dont even master english very good today in non-english-speaking countries.....

I myself are soon to be 30, and even i feel not allways comfortable with english as first language in certain situations on VATSIM. Therefore in Norway i usually use norwegian,mostly to avoid misunderstandings and etc when doing new procedures,training,etc.'

Putting on my bulletproof vest.....

NAX270.png

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish." - Albert Einstein

Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted
So it comes down to

"If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

If I see a screenshot I like, I comment.

If I see a screenshot I dislike, I do not comment.

Agreed, but also, there's a big difference between bashing and giving constructive critisism, such as "try this and that angle and see what happens".

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted
My Two Cents....

I think criticism is fine, as long as it's not used to insult the user, or hurt their feelings. For Example, tips to edit screenshots to make them look better, or tweaking video card settings. It helps the user be able to deliver better content, so even more people can enjoy.

You are 100% correct, however this isn't criticism, this is making a suggestion. There is a big difference between asking if, or suggesting to someone that they try a different editing tecnhique that may make the shot look better and telling someone that they should have cropped it because......

The former suggests a way you think the picture may have presented better, the latter only tells the author why you think the picture sux. It's all in the presentation and people need to learn how to communicate that. Unfortunately you cannot legislate nor control that. You can only moderate it.

Ira R..

Ira Robinson

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Frode, i dont think age plays a part on this, many of the folks who have been doing it are NOT teenagers, these are full grown adults, may act like teenagers, but definitely not.

theres plenty of 13 year olds that act more mature then 35 year olds

changing the age limit isnt going to do a thing

Brian Nuss 887798
Posted
Posted

Well said, Steven.

KASSigPic.jpgsig2.jpg

"The clueless newb of today is the seasoned loyal pilot of tomorrow." -Elchitz

Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted
I dont care for throwing in only two cents.... I toss in whole 100dollar bills, so here we go.

First of all... If a small minority off "forum-trolls" should be the reason for totally blocking comments,that would be a BIG shame. That would not send a good message outwards in the community wich i have come to love.

The second thing i am thinking of, and i KNOW i will get shot after for saying this, but the age-limit for VATSIM is currently 13 as far as i know. That is in my opinion WAY to low. Many 13 year olds have no internet-conduct at all, and feels free to do and fly however they like,i have seen many examples of this online lately unfortunately. How about raising the bar to 15-16 years? Then they have possibillity to train and read and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]imilite themselves really good with the rules, since many 13 year olds dont even master english very good today in non-english-speaking countries.....

I myself are soon to be 30, and even i feel not allways comfortable with english as first language in certain situations on VATSIM. Therefore in Norway i usually use norwegian,mostly to avoid misunderstandings and etc when doing new procedures,training,etc.'

Putting on my bulletproof vest.....

It doesn't matter the age limit, people can still say they are whatever age you set it to you, as they do now. There is no way to prove that they aren't.

Jody Turner - I1

Toronto FIR - Facility Engineer

8942.png

Frode Skibrek 989663
Posted
Posted (edited)

Of course age matters.....It has to do with maturity...And if tyhey present as another age, they should be removed from VATSIM and not be allowed to join until their real age is confirmed. Either via sending copy of id-papers, or via a consent-form from their parents.

Edited by Guest

NAX270.png

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish." - Albert Einstein

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Age isn't a numeric maturity index though. It's simply how long someone has existed for. Their are immature, irritating people of all ages.

Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted
Age isn't a numeric maturity index though. It's simply how long someone has existed for. Their are immature, irritating people of all ages.

I would give that a +100000000. I have some older people who have flown into my airspace who have the maturity of monkeys.

EDIT: And @Frode: The problem is that you can't confirm somebody's age on the network. All you can do is go by what numbers they put as their birthdate when registering. What can we make people do? Photocopy their birth certificates? I know somebody who was born in a third world country who doesn't even know his birthday, just his 'general age.'

Jody Turner - I1

Toronto FIR - Facility Engineer

8942.png

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Not to mention that the fact if VATSIM required people to send identity docomeents or consent forms it would cease to get new members.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
And if tyhey present as another age, they should be removed from VATSIM and not be allowed to join until their real age is confirmed. Either via sending copy of id-papers, or via a consent-form from their parents.

1) How would we know that they lied about their age?

2) Are you volunteering to review these submitted docomeents and validate their authenticity?

In the end, it doesn't matter ... as has been said, age is not a reliable measure of maturity. Most if not all democracies have a minimum voting age, but they still get undesirables elected to public office. People of all ages make poor choices.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ira Robinson
Posted
Posted

And now that this thread has been taken completely off topic..............

Ira R..

Ira Robinson

• 3 weeks later...
Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

And now that this thread has been taken completely off topic..............

Ira R..

Not totally, it was based on the idea that this small amount of posters critisizing are 13 year olds. And yes, I doubt it's very hard to lie about you're age to a computer.

2vuh2cx.gif

Tony Vienonen 1136602
Posted
Posted

My "favorite" form of criticism to read is the kind where someone will study the cockpit of the pic and then nit-pick the various settings that are wrong. I recall one recently where one made the observation that fuel was being used out of the wrong tanks. Who really cares? Really? It is stupid comments like that make me not post shots from the cockpit.

tvieno.gif1136602.jpg

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted
My "favorite" form of criticism to read is the kind where someone will study the cockpit of the pic and then nit-pick the various settings that are wrong. I recall one recently where one made the observation that fuel was being used out of the wrong tanks. Who really cares? Really? It is stupid comments like that make me not post shots from the cockpit.

Just post shots of a perfectly flown DME/ARC approach,

that'll shut them right up Tony

f1cert.gif

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Ahh, back in my day, sometimes kids would try to get a hold of a fake ID to get into a bar.... Now imagine kids having to get a fake ID to get into VATSIM.... I just don't see it....

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations