You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help with a few things

Mark Wolpert

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Hi, I have been using ES for some time and have yet to figure out the following:

1) How can you tell if an aircraft is squawking mode C on the ground ? In VRC their tag changes but in ES I can't figure it out. I am using two screens with my main screen as IFR and second as VFR screen showing ground traffic at the airport.

2) I am currently using realistic correlation but honestly I find that it is not that realistic on Vatsim. The reason is that we get so many aircraft from outside of our airspace (from other FIR's) that need to be correlated. This is something that obviously would not happen in the real world as those aircraft would be under control and handed off. Is there a way to set up ES so that aircraft entering your airspace from outside the FIR are auto correlated ?

thanks for the help.

Mark.

847924.png

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

About the first did you check the wiki about aircraft status? => http://euroscope.hu/mediawiki/index.php?title=Sectors_And_Aircraft_States. Also check you can switch on/off to show traffic squawking standby from the ES menu. What simulation mode are you using? Have you changed the symbols for the standby tracks?

As for the second problem, yes that is a minus in VATSIM, but that will be fixed in the next release. As for now you can change the correlation distance to something bigger (60-70nm), that will increase the radius from the radar target to pick-up the flight plan track.

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

I am using Canscope with Mode-S.

847924.png

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Yes, it does have its own symbols.

847924.png

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Mark

Regardless of what mode your using or plugin the simplest way to determine if an aircraft is squawking mode charlie is to look at the flight strip.

F6 click on the aircraft primary return on the grd. even if you have a lot of aircraft on the grd clicking on a primary return of any aircraft will give you a flight strip if its the wrong one click on the next return.

Once you have done this and you look to the far right of the flight strip you will possibly see two squawk codes on that you have given say 1234 and then below that another squawk code in brackets which is the one they actually are squawking such as (5678).

Simply ask the aircraft to sqk charlie and you will see the lower one with brackets go, once the aircraft is airborne you will se know sqk codes at all on the flight strip. Telling you thatthe aircraft is sqauwking charlie and the correct one.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Great thanks!

847924.png

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Wycliffe,

I must be missing something because today on two occasions I checked the strip (F6) of the aircraft and it showed 1 squawk code that was the correct one. Once airborne the tag showed only " Y " and I had to ask the pilot to squawk Charlie. Any ideas?

Mark.

847924.png

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

OK, I must clear something here, you can see two SQ codes:

* [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned squawk - the top line contains the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned squawk (it may be empty if no squawk is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned by any controller so far)

* actual squawk - in brackets; it is not displayed if the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned and the current squawk equals

The [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign squawk is visible at any time, as long as there is a [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign code from controller.

The actual squawk is visible when the traffic is squawking C and is different from the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign.

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Thanks for clarification. So if the aircraft is squawking standby but is on the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned code then you cannot tell they are sq mode standby.

Mark.

847924.png

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Correct. But any way, that is simply a secondary sign for you to detect if a plane is squawking standby. There is a symbol in ES for standby target

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Correct. But any way, that is simply a secondary sign for you to detect if a plane is squawking standby. There is a symbol in ES for standby target