You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Squawkbox Problems

Tim Hutchinson 916866

Tim Hutchinson 916866
Posted
Posted

Aaarghh!! I am a VATSIM newbie and eventually managed to get a couple of flights in yesterday, but today...

I followed the following procedure yesterday:

0. start Servinfo

1. start SBRelay

2. start AVC Tuner

3. start AVC

4. start FS9

5. connect to multiplayer session

6. create flight in FS9 and run SBhost

7. start Squawkbox

8. amend callsign

9. send flightplan

10. squawk standby

11. connect

12. communicate with ATC and fly!

Today, when I try and run Squawkbox, I get an error (SBRelay initially said "failed to enumerate...") and Squawkbox closes. When I then go back into FS9, the SBhost window is on screen and if I try and click anywhere on it, I just get a "beep".

What's going on?

Trying to persevere with VATSIM as it looks great, but really struggling with getting a consistently straightforward start-up.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Tim

PS: should mention that the only difference is that I installed FSNavigator this evening. If all else fails, I will uninstall that and see what happens

Tim Hutchinson 916866
Posted
Posted

OK, looked at the list of approved software and see that FSNavigator isn't on it. Strange as I'm sure I'd read somewhere that it was. Anyway, I'll get rid of it later and see what happens.

Martin Georg 811874
Posted
Posted

Hiya,

FS Navigator shouldn´t be the problem. It works for thousands of VATSIM users (including me).

best regards,

Martin Georg

3500.png

Tim Hutchinson 916866
Posted
Posted
Hiya,

FS Navigator shouldn´t be the problem. It works for thousands of VATSIM users (including me).

That's a relief; I was sure I'd read about it somewhere being used with VATSIM. Any ideas what the problem might be then?

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
OK, looked at the list of approved software and see that FSNavigator isn't on it. Strange as I'm sure I'd read somewhere that it was. Anyway, I'll get rid of it later and see what happens.

FSNavigator is not required to connect to the VATSIM network. It is strictly a flight planning tool. Create your route in there, export your plan to SB format, load it as an FMS flight plan in SB, and connect with SB. All done. If it were required software, then I'm sure it would be listed. But as it isn't needed to connect, it isn't listed.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Owen Catherwood 903683
Posted
Posted

Make sure that the Universal Plug and Play Service and the SSD Discovery Service are disabled in the Services.msc (go to start->run, type in "Services.msc"). It could also be a firewall issue.

KZSE C3/Facilities Administrator

1798.png

Tim Hutchinson 916866
Posted
Posted
Make sure that the Universal Plug and Play Service and the SSD Discovery Service are disabled in the Services.msc (go to start->run, type in "Services.msc"). It could also be a firewall issue.

Nope, they're not running. Like I say, it worked fine yesterday, so more head scratching to follow. Of course, it would be helpful if the Microsoft error report was intelligible!

Tim Hutchinson 916866
Posted
Posted

Uninstalled FSNavigator and problem goes away...pity, looked like a useful bit of software. Unless I can work out WHY it caused a problem, I guess I'll have to make do without.

Dave Weese 817228
Posted
Posted

I can't belive FSNav was the root cause of this problem.

Did you try reinstalling FSnav and seeing what happens?

Dave Weese (CXA007)

Fleet Manager

Canadian Xpress Virtual Airline®

http://www.CanadianXpress.ca

Tim Hutchinson 916866
Posted
Posted
I can't belive FSNav was the root cause of this problem.

Did you try reinstalling FSnav and seeing what happens?

I don't see why FSNav should be the cause either and so I will try re-installing... Watch this space!

Tim Hutchinson 916866
Posted
Posted

I've reinstalled FSNav and the problem has reappeared.

When I try and connect to Squawkbox, a Microsoft Error report appears on screen and the SBRelay window shows a message saying "Failed Enumerating the Hosts". When I switch back to the FS9 window and try and click in the SBHost window, the PC just beeps at me. I can't do anything with the SBHost window and end up using task manager to shut down the sim.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
David Keech 840211
Posted
Posted

I have the same issue. It may be SBHost inside of FS, try running it outside of FS

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

> It may be SBHost inside of FS, try running it outside of FS

Yes it can be so. Crash is a common fail when running SBHost.dll .

If you haven't, try instead run "Host SB.exe" is a separate window.

And don't run the SBHost.dll from the FS-menu.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Joost Veeningen 879260
Posted
Posted

Damn I have exactly the same problem. Last few months it all worked properly. But yesterday I reinstalled windows.

The only thing I installed was FS2004 plus sbrelay/squawkbox/fscuipc/ and so on. But when I connect squawkbox to sbrelay, I get the message "Failed Enumerating the Hosts". I allready tried running SBhost in an external window, but it didn't help. What's even stranger is that the program did work 1 time this evening, but in that session squawkbox did not respond in FS.

I also tried disabling firewall, but as I said it all worked fine with firewall before the reinstall.

Joost Veeningen 879260
Posted
Posted
Damn I have exactly the same problem. Last few months it all worked properly. But yesterday I reinstalled windows.

The only thing I installed was FS2004 plus sbrelay/squawkbox/fscuipc/ and so on. But when I connect squawkbox to sbrelay, I get the message "Failed Enumerating the Hosts". I allready tried running SBhost in an external window, but it didn't help. What's even stranger is that the program did work 1 time this evening, but in that session squawkbox did not respond in FS.

I also tried disabling firewall, but as I said it all worked fine with firewall before the reinstall.

After a few tries I now don't have that message about Enumerating anymore. Now squawkbox startsup, but it doesn't seem to receive any data from the servers. Normally you would get some info about VATSIM and the regulation and so on. But there's nothing. Moreover when I connect via squawkbox inside FS, it won't connect and after about 15 sec. it says unable to connect.

I think it's a firewall issue after all. But I even tried enabling DMZ for my pc only, but it didn't help

Any ideas?

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

If router, make sure set UPnP disable.

Then just wild guess, I'm not an expert on this network setup:

In network setup for PC and router, try setup as much as possible manual, not automatically.

Not Obtain an IP address automatically.

Not DNS automatically.

Not use DHCP.

If possible enter all IP-adresses such as gateway etc, your self.

Tim Hutchinson 916866
Posted
Posted
I have the same issue. It may be SBHost inside of FS, try running it outside of FS

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, but how do I do this?

Tim

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

There is no stupid questions.

In FS in the menu there is: Modules -> HostSB . This will start the HostSB.dll . So don't start this.

Instead search the file "SB Host.exe" on your Harddisk. It should be there if you have download the SB software.

Start the "SB Host.exe" and it will open a separate empty window.

Then start squawkbox.exe .

It will work exactly the same as HostSB.dll but in a separate window.

Besides, some common trouble shooting are at: http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=2262#2262

Tim Hutchinson 916866
Posted
Posted

Lennart,

Thank you very much for your very helpful replies and the pointer to the troubleshooting thread.

Too late to do anymore today, but I will have a bit more of a fiddle tommorrow evening and see how I get on.

Thanks again,

Tim