You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

PlugIn development for beginners - questions

Michael Zazula

Michael Zazula
Posted
Posted

Hello,

After examining the ES plugin development posibilies I reached the conclusion that this feature is so great that it's worth to learn C++ for that purpose only Finally one day I will have to learn it, otherwise I will be similar to somoene who doesn't speak English and wants to fly abroad

However, due to my very limited knowledeg od C++ development enviroment, I can't understand one thing: the relation between MFC (Microsoft Foundation Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es) and ES plugin. Can someone help me please?

My basic question is: is it possible to develop a plug-in without having MFC (as far as I understand, MFC is quite expensive to buy)?

In EuroScope Plug In development manual I found:

It is up to you if you are using MFC in the plug-in or not.

However, when I follow the manual, I'm asked to include EuroScopePlugIn.h. When I do so, I start getting errors on compiling my plugin. There are several errors, but let's take the first one: my Visual C++ compliler doesn't like :

RECT GetRadarArea ( void ) ;

in the EuroScopePlugIn.h.

I've discovered that RECT is part of MFC and that's why I suppose it's not possible to develop a plug in withoud MFC.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

MJZ

Best regards,
Michael "Zulus" Zazula

1832284255_Beznazwy.png.8fdb60cd0b9a70a54b993f005487e8ca.png
Visit pl-vacc.org.pl  | Welcome to Polish virtual airspace!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That's probably referencing RECT as defined in the standard windows SDK. It's in Windef.h, which you can get by including Windows.h.

(I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that's the RECT that GetRadarArea() returns ... haven't actually tried it myself.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 2 weeks later...
Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Ross is right. RECT is defined in the WinDef.h and it should not be part of MFC. There are plug-in developers who use the free express edition of VisualStudio. That has no MFC support.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer