You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Top Flight Schools

John Graham 1036677

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted

Hey

I am just getting to the age now (16) to start looking at my post secondary plans more closely, and I am wondering which flight school people would recommend. I was looking at the University of Western Ontario Aviation Program, which includes flight school and a business degree in Aviation management, because out of all the degrees linked with flight schools I like the business management degree the most. Plus UWO is currently the top ranked University in Canada.

But I am not sure if that is the best flight school. I don't need a degree, but so far i have been planning on getting one as well as doing flight school.

I am wondering what you guys think. Should I get a degree? If so, what University and program would be the best? If not, which flight school would be the best? I am looking to try to get on the fast track to becoming an airline pilot, so whichever one would allow me to get on an airline the earliest the better.

Thanks in advance

asb4.jpg

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

I am just getting to the age now (16) to start looking at my post secondary plans more closely, and I am wondering which flight school people would recommend. I was looking at the University of Western Ontario Aviation Program, which includes flight school and a business degree in Aviation management, because out of all the degrees linked with flight schools I like the business management degree the most. Plus UWO is currently the top ranked University in Canada.

But I am not sure if that is the best flight school. I don't need a degree, but so far i have been planning on getting one as well as doing flight school.

I am wondering what you guys think. Should I get a degree? If so, what University and program would be the best? If not, which flight school would be the best? I am looking to try to get on the fast track to becoming an airline pilot, so whichever one would allow me to get on an airline the earliest the better.

Hi John,

It is great that you are planning ahead! In 1995 I enrolled in the Aviation and Flight Technology course at Seneca College after having spent 3 years at Queen's University. Even though I am 13 years removed from graduating from the program, I can still vouch for the quality of flight instruction that is available there as many of the same flight instructors are still teaching. A few things have changed, in that it is now a degree program as opposed to the diploma program I attended.

It is my understanding that today, as it was back in the 90's, an education at Seneca holds some sway in the Canadian aviation industry as well.

Regardless of where you choose, I would wholeheartedly say that getting a degree is very important.

TB

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted

Okay thanks for the reply.

The other place I was looking was Confederation college. When you mean degree do you mean a full University Degree like Business Degree (4 years) or doing Aviation Flight Management at Confederation (2.5 years).

Thanks

asb4.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I don't need a degree

You need a degree. Whether you realize it or not is another question.

Look at Air Canada. While they don't require a degree to be a pilot, they point out that applications m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ively outnumber positions, and a degree is one of the things you can do to stand out from the crowd. Now, if it turns out that you didn't get a degree because your billionaire great-uncle paid for you to get an A319 rating in your spare time and you've been flying him around the world ever since, you'll be fine. Otherwise, it's likely that you'll have several dozen (or hundred) folks ahead of you in the queue. Canada has the highest percentage of people in the Western world with a degree.

Also, consider the fact that most people end up in a dramatically different career than what they considered at 16 years of age. You should make plans at your age [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that you're NOT going to be a pilot, and pick something that while it may help your aviation career doesn't close any doors.

Also, consider that if you want to live and work outside of Canada (which may successful Canadians seem to end up doing) a 4-year degree will make your life immeasurably easier. Finishing my degree was the smartest decision I ever made.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted

Okay thanks for the info. I guess the 2.5 year degree doesn't quite cut it.

I am not exactly sure why. Because the 2.5 year degree is pretty much flight school plus all the basic college training, so if they are looking for smarts it is pretty much the same as going to university. Whatever, I still have a while to decide.

Thanks again for the information.

asb4.jpg

Joe Prokopanko 998876
Posted
Posted

Did mine at Red River College (Winnipeg). An OK program, had some holes that needed to be patched up when I took it, but (apparently) it's better now?

One thing I can say about choice of school though: get your IFR done at Perimeter (and no, I'm not shamelessly plugging my company). Training in all conditions, in fairly challenging conditions..and very, very good instructors. I did mine there...best training I ever received.

PM me for more info about schools in this area (YWG) if you're interested in that. Are you looking to do the whole ramp-job-for-a-turbine-spot deal, or are you looking to instruct for starters?

Also for the degree vs no degree debate..for AC, for example: they [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign 'points' to you based on your credentials when you go for your interview. A degree is worth 4 points, a diploma (college) is worth 2 points, and a diploma in aviation/aviation management is worth 3 points. IIRC, they still do this - - someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
Canada has the highest percentage of people in the Western world with a degree.

Really? Not according to the Conference Board of Canada…

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/details/education/university-completion.aspx

and not specifically in Science and Technology either (check out Fig 2-25)…

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind10/c2/c2s5.htm

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted
Canada has the highest percentage of people in the Western world with a degree.

Really? Not according to the Conference Board of Canada…

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/details/education/university-completion.aspx

and not specifically in Science and Technology either (check out Fig 2-25)…

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind10/c2/c2s5.htm

.. but we have the gold medal in hockey - what else really matters?

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles