You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Euroscope on Linux

Gavin Bernard 1026637

Gavin Bernard 1026637
Posted
Posted

So Linux gurus I provide you with a question. Using wine, Euroscope works perfectly! Except the sounds. Is there anyway I can make wine recognize the wav sound files to play them?

ZOB EC, Mentor                         Have an event you'd like ZOB staffing for? Email [email protected]

?cid=1026637

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Hello Gavin,

I don't know if this can help but it may be that Euroscope is using WAV files in a non-standard format that wine does not recognize. The most common WAV format is:

44KHz, stereo 16 bits, used in most software.

However, for size or for reduced quality the sound files can be modified to different bit rates and to mono for instance. In that case, software must be able to adapt to this and play sounds with different specs.

I would suggest verifying the type of format your WAV's have and try to convert them to the above-mentioned format to see if wine can handle them or not.

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Gavin Bernard 1026637
Posted
Posted

Just checked the standard files and they are all the above mentioned format.

ZOB EC, Mentor                         Have an event you'd like ZOB staffing for? Email [email protected]

?cid=1026637

Martin Rosenkjaer 968376
Posted
Posted

Hi Gavin

I have been running ES 3.1d on Linux quite some times with good results. My major problem was patching alsa to get prober sound but as I remember I used direct sound setup from ES and then patched the IO directly from alsa to match the intended settings in ES.

The result where (almost) flawless sound for atc and acceptable sound for ATIS.

So in general the trick is not to adapt ES to Linux but adapting Linux to ES

In order to make sure it all works in the best possible manner you should make sure that you have the prober packages like -utils -lib and -tools.

Depending on your Linux distribution you might need some skills with a terminal but in my case I used OpenSuse which allowed me to work mostly in a gui and most important of all make a backup of my alsa settings as it can be extremely hard to reconfigure if things goes wrong.

Martin Rosenkjær

Eurotest Staff

VATSIM Europe Division

eud_logo.png

• 9 years later...
Emmanuel Jonah
Posted
Posted

I am able to install Euroscope using Wine on Debian 10 but unable to run "Euroscope.exe" as it posts errors like

1. mfc100.dll for CacheXDll.dll and Euroscope.exe not found

2. CacheXDll.dll for Euroscope.exe not found

Any way out?

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted (edited)

Emmanuel, my experience with ES on Wine is that most things should work except audio - as you need a 32 bit libpulse package. Look up the actual name for this package on your distro and install it. For example, in Arch Linux this is done by typing:

sudo pacman -S lib32-libpulse

Other plugins might need other dependencies - the best way to find this out is by opening up ES on a terminal (type wine Euroscope.exe) and seeing the errors it's reporting. For example, when loading the UK Controller Plugin, these errors are thrown out:

0009:err:module:load_so_dll failed to load .so lib "/usr/bin/../lib32/wine/wldap32.dll.so": libldap_r-2.4.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library WLDAP32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\samuel\\Documents\\Euroscope\\UKControllerPlugin.dll") failed (error c000007a).
0024:err:winediag:schan_imp_init Failed to load libgnutls, secure connections will not be available.
0024:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

As you can see, the errors are being caused by libldap and libgnutls being missing. So with this we now know that for UKCP we need to install these too.

sudo pacman -S lib32-libldap
sudo pacman -S lib32-gnutls

I made a post on this on the VATSIM UK forum. You can find it here.

Edited by Samuel Rey
you have to run pacman as sudo!

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Emmanuel Jonah
Posted
Posted

These are some more details pertaining to my issue with running EuroScope on Debian 10.

1. This is the Program Files directory listing  of EuroScope after the installation on Wine 

7za.exe                      EuroScopePlugInDll.dll        Sounds
 CacheXDll.dll               HoldingListPlugin.dll         system.reg
 dosdevices                  mfc100.dll                    tmp
 drive_c                     msvcp100.dll                  ts3client_win32.dll
'EuroScope - EULA.doc'       msvcr100.dll                  ts3server_win32.dll
 EuroScope.exe               Occ.dll                       userdef.reg
 EuroScopeFsdServer.exe      PlugInEnvironment             user.reg
 EuroScopeFsxConnector.exe   PrecisionApproachPlugIn.dll

2. This is the error output when i run `wine EuroScopoe` in the installation directory or when I run the command with absolute path references 

0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library mfc100.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\EuroScope\\CacheXDll.dll") failed (error c000007b).
0009:err:module:import_dll Library CacheXDll.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\EuroScope\\EuroScope.exe") not found
0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library mfc100.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\EuroScope\\EuroScopePlugInDll.dll") failed (error c000007b).
0009:err:module:import_dll Library EuroScopePlugInDll.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\EuroScope\\EuroScope.exe") not found
0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library mfc100.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\EuroScope\\EuroScope.exe") failed (error c000007b).
0009:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\EuroScope\\EuroScope.exe" failed, status c0000135

As can be observed from the error output, all the supposedly missing .dlls are located in the  same directory as the EuroScope.exe application. I even copied all .dlls into the `windows\system32` folder in the Wine virtual drive but the error still persists.

Counting on your support.

Emmanuel Jonah
Posted
Posted (edited)

The issue I had was an inherent problem with some Wine 4x versions as documented here. To resolve it, I upgraded to Wine 5 with this help

Thanks for all the support.

Edited by Emmanuel Jonah