You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

charts etc?

Laurence Sopp 1173647

Laurence Sopp 1173647
Posted
Posted

Hi all

I'm new to flight simulation. Over the last month or so i've got myself X-Plane and have gradually learnt to fly by watching tutorials on Youtube and from browsing endless forums. I can now safely (i think!) take off and land, file a flight plan, land using an ILS.

I've obviously registered with Vatsim and am now working towards taking my first live flight. I'm spending time listening to ATC and am pretty confident in etiquette and protocol concerning flight plans, taxi, IFR clearance etc.

However, when it comes to using charts and knowing which ATC to contact en route i'm lost! Do the charts give me the info I need to follow the IFR clearance from ATC?

Also, what are the best sites to download airport charts and approach charts etc?

I'm hoping this is just a blip in my learning as so far its gone remarkably well

Cheers

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

Laurence,

the fact that you have posted on the UK part would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you belong to the UK or wish to fly in the UK, so I suggest a quick visit to the VATUK site

http://www.vatsim-uk.org/news.php

and a forum post that you will find invaluable is "The How to Guide"

http://community.vatsim-uk.org/index.php?showtopic=20687

non-discript self importance signature

Laurence Sopp 1173647
Posted
Posted

Thanks, i'll get stuck in to that over the next few days.

Another question, what equipment do i need to converse with ATC? Do i need to buy a special mircrophone. i [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the built in one on my imac won't be up to the job. Also, once your tuned to the correct frequency for the appropriate controller how do you start and end a conversation?

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Laurence

Welcometo your addiction. I don't know from mac's but I would think like most laptops the mic will be awful, So get yourself a good usb headset configuration, Plantronics or Logitech they are both good.

Of course you could go the wireless route which is very nice indeed, and for that your need to be looking for a Logitech wireless headset.

regarding what to say and how, google cap413, it's the CAA Radiotelephony Manual and dare I say invaluable.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

Mac Microphone, this will pick up too much background so as Wycliffe suggest a USB as the ATC voice then can come straight out into the headphones.

But as you have said you have been listening to ATC, remember most of the stuff ATC say is just the opposite to what you have asked for with a couple of extras, just keep a pen and paper handy, if necessary write down what has been said and you should be able to work out what will be expected from you.

non-discript self importance signature

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I'd recommend learning to land without ILS, that will be useful.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

Laurence,

You can use your internal or PCI sound card, plugging a microphone in the mic jack and headphones (or simply your loudspeakers) in the speakers jack. If you have the sort of Skype headsets, they'll have those two jacks typically one in green and the other in pink.

Otherwise, what most of us use is what has been stated above: a USB pen sound-card which is just like a storage pen drive only with two wires connecting to the headset which includes a fixed mic. This is more professional, so to say, and much more practical. It is completely plug-and-play, no drivers needed and you can disconnect/reconnect without having to "safely remove USB device".

Make sure you find some comfortable headsets, whatever mode you use. You'll be using them a lot once you get addicted to flying online with ATC

Miguel

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

• 2 months later...
Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
Laurence,

You can use your internal or PCI sound card

He's on an iMac. That has no PCI slots, but has socketry for headphones and mic. And of course USB.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Socketry, I like that must be a new word. submit it to the Oxford Dictionary.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
Socketry, I like that must be a new word. submit it to the Oxford Dictionary.

Wycliffe

You have got me going there. I checked the "Shorter" Oxford, and it isn't there. And She Who Must Be Obeyed checed the Facebook Scrabble dictionary. Nowt.

I don't know where I got it from. I was involved for a while with professional sound studio design and installation (hospital radio in the UK) so maybe I picked it up from there. The lead engineer was BBC trained…

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.