You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Different pilot clients volume level

Kyprianos Biris

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted

Maybe it is not ES related but wanted to ask here first.

Do you notice big differences in volume level from pilot to pilot you ATC

What I notice is that about 30% of the pilots are 1 max 2/5 (usually 1) readable and the rest are 5/5.

I have not started asking them yet which pilot client they use to compare but I'm not sure if this is a pilot client issue or something else software related.

The volume control for the USB headset I use for the primary channel output is maxed out.

I use the Wave selection of voice.

Any ideas

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Must be your [Mod - lovely stuff]py internet connection in Greece, move to Germany! No problems here

I do have similar problems from time to time (but I do not need to max out my headset's volume). I ask those pilots to check their setup (mic booster), to hold their mics closer to their mouth etc., I shall have a look whether it is related to a certain pilot client program or not.

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

I have found this tends to be the voice server i connect to rather than pilot client, but there are so many different Headset / microphones, I think this would be hard to find a common problem

non-discript self importance signature

Kyprianos Biris
Posted
Posted
Must be your [Mod - lovely stuff]py internet connection in Greece, move to Germany! No problems here

No we have the best ones because we spent all EU subsidies on things like them (via investments [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned directly to German companies) and now we're asking some more from you to pay back for our debt in general

spacer.png

Hellenic vACC | Olympic Air Virtual

Europe Region Director 2001-2011

Pilot: P5 | ATC: C3

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

From my experience I think those 30% 1 or 2/5 have their setup incorrectly configured. In our beloved Windows operating system, especially version 7, there are way too many sliders to control volume levels. The headset has one, the pilot client has one, the operating system defines one for each application, the operating system defines one for all sound (WAV) output and then finally there is one for the overall sound volume, which is what most people use.

But then there is the recording properties tab which is meant for INPUT (mic) and not OUTPUT (speakers/phones). By validating that all these sliders are appropriately configured *and stay that freakin way* one can ensure a correct volume output.

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

John Golin
Posted
Posted

During WorldFlight we notice some m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive differences in voice quality around the world.

My personal belief is a lot is due to incorrectly or non-configured microphones. Especially if the pilots are too soft or too loud.

We need a campaign to encourage people to work on, and maintain, their mic configuration

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

I was about to start a similar thread myself. I find that those pilots who I know are also controllers are usually easy to hear. Maybe they are more likely to have a decent mic and to have spent some time configuring the settings?

It's also interesting that when I point out to some pilots that they are barely readable, they will come back and suddenly have a much better volume. Then the next time they call, it's all quiet again... Some laziness involved perhaps? When asked if they can improve the sound they make sure to have the mic in the proper position and to talk louder, and then forget it until the next transmission...?

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

• 3 weeks later...
J Jason Vodnansky 810003
Posted
Posted

I too have had this issue, thought it was just me...

JV

Ervins Reinverts
Posted
Posted

I am also a pilot and controller and I do not have an advanced mic, I use cheapo headphones with mic from the supermarket that costed less than 4 euro. Have been doing basic calibration tests and thats it, noone complains, mostly I am reported readability as 5 by 5. Sometimes transmission might be broken which I think accounts for my internet connection, but don't recall that someone had complained about sound level or distoritions recently.

Ervins

963676.jpg

balt.png

C1 controller EVRR & EETT FIR; BALT, EURN & EURE UIRs

Follow EVRR_FIR on Twitter at http://twitter.com/evrr_fir

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Guys keep in mind that not everyone is have the best internet connection around the world. That is the reason there is much text only pilots.

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

As much as I dislike turning the topic somewhere....

but what's the difference between WAVE and DIRECTSOUND? Which one is preferred/better to use?

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

• 2 weeks later...
Abdelrahman M. Elfeky 1044
Posted
Posted

Why not using a higher codec ? Am not quite sure which one is currently used but am sure a higher one would be better in terms of quality

TS2 uses up to 25.9kbit which is crystal clear and doesn't really kill the performance (2.5kb/s)

Regards,,,

s5_logo.png

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

No we have the best ones because we spent all EU subsidies on things like them (via investments [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned directly to German companies) and now we're asking some more from you to pay back for our debt in general

ZING!!

847924.png