You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How do you become a rated controller?

William Richards 1169795

William Richards 1169795
Posted
Posted

Hi Vatsimers,

I've been browsing in circles through the Controller Training section of Vatsim. How do I take the test to become a rated S1 ground controller? I've almost completed my first semester in my controller CTI and I'm confident in my abilities. I've downloaded the VRC software.

Sincerely,

Will Richards

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

first you need to signup with an ARTCC/FIR, theyll take you through the training then youll get tested.

theres lots of training involved before you get tested. if you are a CTI student then much of it should be a breeze for you and you should advance quickly.

where are you interested in controlling?

William Richards 1169795
Posted
Posted

I'd like to eventually become a center controller in Colorado. On vatsim I've registered in the eastern division of the North American region. That area of the site doesn't give me the option to sign up for an ARTCC however. Is there a specific website URL I go to, to sign up for the Colorado training?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

go to VATUSA.net then click on become a controller. follow the instructions on that. itll go through all that. the initial test is not the S1 test, its just a basic knowledge test

• 2 weeks later...
Marcus Becker 1142460
Posted
Posted

Hi William,

The website listed on VATUSA last I checked is incorrect for ZDV. The appropriate website (for now anyway) is zdvartcc.org.

Gary Millsaps 830104
Posted
Posted

William,

Welcome to VATUSA...go here: http://www.vatusa.net/join.php

Once you follow ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS there and successfully complete the Basic Controller Exam, you will be offered your choice of any ARTCC within VATUSA - Denver ARTCC among them.

Good luck!

Gary Millsaps

VATUSA1

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...

guaranteed."