You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Computer upgrade...

Anthony Belton-Ford 102141

Posted
Posted

Right now I have....

Intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.4GHZ

2GB ram

ATI Radeon HD 3600 graphics card

What is the best thing to upgrade, maybe the graphics card? a 8800GT might be cheap now, and maybe clock the processer speed?

Any ideas?

Shawn Goldsworthy 925085
Posted
Posted

FSX or X-Plane? I run both w/ 2 GB ram Intel core 2 duo E6750 (2.66 ghz) and a 8800GT and it screams with X-Plane. I can't quite go to max with the sliders in FSX, but pretty close.

X-Plane and FSX will max out the CPU.....always (well one of the cores anyway) 2.4ghz is pretty solid though. Faster quad core CPU's start to get pricey.

The 8800GT's are getting harder to find now since they were replaced with the 9000 series last year but you can get the 9800GT's for $100 from Newegg.

Shawn "SX" Goldsworthy

Retired ATM/ Staff Instructor

Los Angeles ARTCC

N123SX | xxx554

Posted
Posted
FSX or X-Plane? I run both w/ 2 GB ram Intel core 2 duo E6750 (2.66 ghz) and a 8800GT and it screams with X-Plane. I can't quite go to max with the sliders in FSX, but pretty close.

X-Plane and FSX will max out the CPU.....always (well one of the cores anyway) 2.4ghz is pretty solid though. Faster quad core CPU's start to get pricey.

The 8800GT's are getting harder to find now since they were replaced with the 9000 series last year but you can get the 9800GT's for $100 from Newegg.

Flight sim 2004

Hmm, I don't even know what cards would be compatible with my motherboard, it's all very confusing PCI-E express, eugh makes no sense.