You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Soaring in Vatsim

James Wylie 1176976

James Wylie 1176976
Posted
Posted

Good evening fellow pilots. I am new to vatsim and was wondering when soaring during a vatsim session, do i still need a vfr flt pln or can I fly around but keep in contact with pilots and local atc frequencies? I enjoy soaring and just wanted to know my limitations and/or restrictions on this network. Thanks so much!!

James

Delaware, USA

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

VFR flightplans are never required in the US. However, note that you must start on the ground.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted
note that you must start on the ground.

false

where you get that from? its perfectly fine to connect while in the air. just pay attention to where you are doing it. if its in the middle of crowded airspace, not the best way to connect. but you can definitely launch your glider offline and connect in the air

James Wylie 1176976
Posted
Posted

Thank you both. I signed up for a virtual soaring club in the uk and they monitor unicom 122.80 for all atc unless asked to change freq otherwise. Also looking at their rules and vatsim, the max for vfr is i believe fl140 or 1000 ft below a cloud base, I think, dont quote me. Now I dont know what the rules are for the us in vatsim for gliders but in the uk, gliders have the right of way and dont use transponders in them. Mainly just keeping visual separation with other aircraft and announcing positions while flying around non towered airports. I did not see anywhere in the pilot resource center on vatsim about glider ops on vatsim so any help from other glider pilots is appreciated!! Also happy holidays everyone!!

James

Wilm, DE.

James Wylie 1176976
Posted
Posted

I also am using comeulusX and WinchX for all my soaring.

Kenneth Haught
Posted
Posted

Hi James,

While not a glider pilot, some simple "rules" for flying (in the US) will still stand you in good order.

Unless you know how to operate the transponder (both pilot clients have one, even if the plane doesn't) stay away from controlled airspace (Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] A/B/C...Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] D is ok, since by nature you don't need a transponder to enter).

VFR is permitted below 18K, so as long as you meet other VFR minima you shouldn't have any problems.

Per the VATSIM CoC NO aircraft takes precedence over another, so don't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you have the right-of-way. All aircraft are to employ See and Avoid techniques when not under positive radar control (even then it doesn't hurt).

By and large you won't be anything more than a blip to a controller, and perhaps some added scenery to the VFR guys, which is the beautiful part of the network. Fly it professionally, be polite, and above all have fun. Plenty of room on the network for all types of aircraft!

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager

VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)

Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Transponders are not required within cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C and B provided certain items are met. With ATC approval, one can enter the Mode C veil, and even the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace. Certain aircraft too are exempt from the transponder requirement. Though I can't be asked to pull out the CFR and AIM to quote exactly.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted
Transponders are not required within cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C and B provided certain items are met. With ATC approval, one can enter the Mode C veil, and even the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] B airspace. Certain aircraft too are exempt from the transponder requirement. Though I can't be asked to pull out the CFR and AIM to quote exactly.

Whilst the real world allows aircraft without radios or transponders into certain airspace, we don't on VATSIM since the additional avionics have no weight or cost

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Whilst the real world allows aircraft without radios or transponders into certain airspace, we don't on VATSIM since the additional avionics have no weight or cost

What CoC or CoR directive is this under? I see a recommendation, but no requirement. And I know a few pilots that have simulated no transponders on board and I openly welcome it because it gives me a chance to control a primary target only. Adds a whole new level of challenges in busy airspace.

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

What CoC or CoR directive is this under? I see a recommendation, but no requirement. And I know a few pilots that have simulated no transponders on board and I openly welcome it because it gives me a chance to control a primary target only. Adds a whole new level of challenges in busy airspace.

4. Except while on the ground prior to making initial contact with ATC or

upon request of ATC, a pilot should not squawk standby. A pilot should

not squawk standby while flying to his destination, even when there is no

appropriate Enroute air traffic control available.

Tomas Hansson

Cameron Negrete
Posted
Posted

+1

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

4. Except while on the ground prior to making initial contact with ATC or

upon request of ATC, a pilot should not squawk standby. A pilot should

not squawk standby while flying to his destination, even when there is no

appropriate Enroute air traffic control available.

Should is not the same as shall. Shall is a requirement, should is a recommendation. Same with UNICOM's "rule".

James Wylie 1176976
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your feedback. I just wanted to point out that a glider has no transponder equipped in it, just a radio. Also I was questioning the "Right of way" with gliders because they have no engines and on approach we cannot go around. My main post was about glider flight, vfr, no transponder, and right of way for approaches. So this would not apply to motor aircraft unless it was a discus x with a motor. I understand keeping visual separation and radio com set at all times. This would also be around non towered airports, dirt/gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] strips. It would make sense they gliders have right of way at non towered or towered airstrips since we are basically "falling" out of the sky. I'll look up some more info on gliding rules both real world and sim and see what I find out. Again this is only a sim and I dont want to be discouraged to fly around and get criticized for something wrong. I just want to have fun!! Its the coolest sim around. Thanks! Happy holidays all!!

James Wylie 1176976
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all, found it!! Sorry for all the questions, but its good to learn how real aviation works. Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] G airspace is uncontrolled airspace up to 14,500msl. its open for gliders, hanggliders and ultralight activity. Only crossing into b,c,d, and e airspace would you need strict rules to follow.

also found this for all glider pilots:

f. Gliders , when safely possible, should give way to the powered aircraft. However Gliders have the right-of-way over power aircraft (FAR Sec. 91.113 (d2)). If necessary for safety a Glider pilot has the option of exercising that right of way or even asking a powered pilot to perform a go-around. S[Mod - Happy Thoughts]I pilots will avoid exercising the right-of-way and are expected to:

(1) Make every effort to integrate into the landing sequence by holding in lift if available. Position reports from Power pilots near the airport and in the pattern help Glider pilots avoid conflicts.

(2) Glider will consider circling in lift found in the pattern, landing in the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts], making a short or long landing, or even a downwind landing ( to get the glider off the runway and on to the displaced threshold very rapidly) to avoid a conflict.

(3) If the glider cannot maintain altitude it may have to call for landing, taking priority in accordance with FAR 91.113. Gliders will use this only as the last option which should be preventable with good planning and communication.

This is in Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] G uncontrolled airspace like in Minden, NV.

Edited by Guest

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Not all Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] G goes to 14,500 MSL in the US. Just keep that in mind. And Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] E isn't strict at all.

James Wylie 1176976
Posted
Posted

Thanks Daniel, I saw that too!.