You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

MSI NVIDIA Geforce GTX 470 1280MB Question

Daniel Eamon Brennan

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

Everything was fine until two days ago:

I've installed the latest drivers, previous drivers, installed from scratch and still get the following problem with programs:-

eg in Mafia II and now, FS2004, I get a problem where the program will freeze, I cannot alt+tab, CTRL ALT DEL, then after about 30 seconds, the screen will go black and the green power light on my monitor turn to the orange stby colour, after another ~20 seconds, the screen will resume normal ops. and the game/program unfreeze - but, it will happen multiple times.

Any pointers?

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W

- CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz overclocked to 4.00GHz

- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard

- Cooler: Corsair H50 CPU Cooler

- RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache

- Graphics Card: Choice of the latest graphic cards

- Sound: High Definition 7.1 Onboard Sound Card

- Optical Drive: 22x DVD+RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter

- Windows 7 Home Premium

Any pointers?

Daniel Eamon Brennan - C3

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Sounds like your graphics driver is crashing or the card is having some difficulty. Verify that you have the latest drivers, that the drivers have no known issues, that the power supply is sufficient(the overclocked CPU might be drawing more power) and that the card isn't overheating.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

It's from overclockers.co.uk - I should hope that the PSU is supplying enough power - 600W

To confirm, it's the latest driver set, for the correct OS and the correct card.

The card is running at ~30 degrees centigrade when in game.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Definitely looks like the driver is crashing and restarting.

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

Thanks Darrol - RMA jobby?

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure what RMA jobby means-

Is my job in Return Merchandise Authorization-no

Should you have the card RMA'd-Maybe

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Don't RMA it yet.

There is a huge 20 page thread at NVidia's forums about this exact thing happening across all GTX 400 series cards (430, 450, 460, 470, 480), and the latest drivers don't seem to resolve the problem. Rolling back to the previous stable drivers (258.96) doesn't resolve it either. Everyone has been waiting for the next release of drivers, which was to be released before the beginning of the year, to fix it (if it is driver related). That has been pushed off until mid January 2011.

It is unknown if this is a driver issue or a hardware issue. NVidia has been silent on this throughout the entire issue. This currently affects any cards made by MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, NVidia, XFX, PNY, and Palit. Also, the majority of this seems to affect those running Windows 7 64bit. XP seems to be unaffected, but that's only based on 3 reports.

Here's the thread over at NVidia.

Also, the bulk of the people who RMA'ed their card, got the same card back, with their vendor stating that there isn't a problem. So someone also at the NVidia forums started a thread that lists the cards people have that experience this, plus the other hardware (motherboard, CPU, memory, vendor card) that works and doesn't work. That's worth a read as well.

EDIT: It's still unknown if it's a driver issue. I have an EVGA GTX 460 1GB card, and this started to happen to me 1 month after buying the card. latest drivers didn't help either. However, going back to my 8800GT 512MB with those same drivers work fine. If you have another Nvidia card, you could stay with the same drivers or jump up to the latest stable and be good while you wait.. but everyone's waiting to see if the next latest stable drivers fixes it. If it doesn't, you'll hear the complaints, let alone a lot of people heading back over to AMD/ATI.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
EDIT: It's still unknown if it's a driver issue. I have an EVGA GTX 460 1GB card, and this started to happen to me 1 month after buying the card. latest drivers didn't help either. However, going back to my 8800GT 512MB with those same drivers work fine. If you have another Nvidia card, you could stay with the same drivers or jump up to the latest stable and be good while you wait.. but everyone's waiting to see if the next latest stable drivers fixes it. If it doesn't, you'll hear the complaints, let alone a lot of people heading back over to AMD/ATI.

Is the 500 series ok, at least? Was looking to install one in a new rig I'll be building soon...

8942.png

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Is the 500 series ok, at least? Was looking to install one in a new rig I'll be building soon...

Right now, I really can't say. The thread I linked to was about those having issues with the GTX 400 and 500 series cards, (all Fermi). So I'd wait at leas to see what comes out of this since nVidia is 'scheduled' to have new drivers out soon.

You may have to wait until the 600 series comes out.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller