You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

A question about VATSPY

Philippe Thibault

Philippe Thibault
Posted
Posted

Yesterday, as I was crossing Germany, two ACC positions that were staffed (with their frequencies listed in Squawkbox and voice operational) were showing unstaffed on VATSpy, even after many refreshes. Everything else appeared OK.

How is that possible if a single source of VATSIM data is used by all programs?

Phil

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

Controller and client pilots use the data given to them by FSD in real time.

VATSpy, Servinfo etc use a data source known as the Datafeed which is updated every 2 minutes, if they have changed the prefix of their callsign after VATSpy was released, then VATSpy doesn't understand what their callsign correlates to, hence their area on VATSpy doesn't light up.

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)

Mark McCoy 823112
Posted
Posted

Plus the Datafeed server isn't always functional. If that server drops, VATSIM is still functional but external viewer programs are rendered useless until the feed returns (even Vataware).

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

Agreed Mark, I would have said the exact same thing but he stated he had refreshed multiple times leading me to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that the data server was functional at the time of the issue. But a very valid point to bring up anyway Mark

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)