You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[Jan 22nd 23Z - 03Z] Toronto Tension Convention - FS2CREW!!!

Gary Feddema 1032654

Gary Feddema 1032654
Posted
Posted

ttcfs2cs.png

Toronto FIR would like to send an invitation to everyone on the VATSIM network to come out and participate in the first Toronto Tension Convention 'TTC' of 2011!!! To start off the New Year right, FS2Crew has graciously sponsored our event and will be donating prizes* to be won at the end of the evening.

This monthly opportunity for pilots to put the Toronto FIR to the test, has been spiced up and put into full gear for 2011. So dust off your favorite single piston aircraft or grab your Captain's hat and get yourself ready for a night full of high pace and exciting flying in the Toronto FIR.

To win a prize is simple, FLY!!

How it works - By flying to or from any airport in the CZYZ FIR will earn a number. All the numbers that you earn during the night will be placed into a draw. At the end of the event we will pull ramdom numbers from the draw to win Prizes. Therefore the more flights you are able to make during the event the greater the chance you may have to win a fantastic prize from FS2Crew.

More Flights = More Numbers = Greater chances to Win!!!

*FS2Crew: Airline Pilot Extreme

*FS2Crew: PMDG 747 Voice Commander Edition

Join us Saturday, 22nd January, 2011, from 6pm ET till 10pm ET. CZYZ will be featuring a full slate of controllers at Toronto (CYYZ) and full en-route coverage with Toronto Centre for the duration of the event. Also expect coverage at our satellite airports too.

For great scenery (AES supported) and charts - Please visit us at - http://www.czyz.ca

Gary Feddema

Toronto FIR Chief

http://www.czyz.ca

-----------------------

Like Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

• 2 weeks later...
Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Can I ask what may well be some silly questions? In RW, light single VFR operations are not allowed at CYYZ, but I know that they are in VATSIM. This means that there is no light GA apron anywhere… so where do I park my PA28 if I want to fly from CYYZ? And do I need permission to start-up and do power checks? And why are there Apron frequencies if the apron is uncontrolled?

By the way, I've just installed your 2007 CYYZ scenery. It's great!

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Gary Feddema 1032654
Posted
Posted

Alistair,

There are never silly questions, and I'm glad that you asked. Although VFR is not very popular at Toronto (CYYZ), VFR flights are still permitted to fly to or from Toronto if they wish. There are GA apron parking available at CYYZ, and are located on the North end of the field and at Sky Service. So if you choice to load at CYYZ then there are some options for you. I would however recommend loaded at one of our satellite airports located all around the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), airports like; CYKF (Kitchener), CYHM (Hamilton), CYXU (London), or airports in the GTA like, CYKZ (Buttonville) or CYTZ (City Center). We will be having coverage at all of those airports during the event.

To give you the simples answer possible to why there are frequencies for the apron if they are uncontrolled is because, the apron is not controlled by NavCanada (FAA for the Americans) it is staffed by what are called "apron officers", which control the aprons of busy airports like Toronto (CYYZ) because of the amount of traffic moving around in such a congested area. The apron officers acts like a controller but is NOT, and only gives instructions that are more on the end of advisories, and ensures that know one crashes into one another. Without apron officers there would be no control and aircraft would literally crash into one another.

I'm glad you like the scenery!

Cheers,

Gary

Gary Feddema

Toronto FIR Chief

-----------------------

Like Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Gary, Thanks. Is Sky Service at the infield GA Area? I can't find them on the chart.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Gary Feddema 1032654
Posted
Posted

Yeah, the Sky Service apron is located in the middle of the field just north of the Central Deicing facility.

Gary.

Gary Feddema

Toronto FIR Chief

-----------------------

Like Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Dave James 1018738
Posted
Posted

Alistair,

Additional to Garys, heres a visual.

th_skyservice-yyz.jpg

David James

VATSIM Screenshot Contest Coordinator

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4gig, RAM 3.25gig, ATI Radeon HD4800, XP Pro SP3, FS9.1 FSnav FSinn VRC

EXS_3.jpg

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Ah, got it! Thanks both. I hadn't printed off the infield area:

Alistair Thomson

===

Gary Feddema 1032654
Posted
Posted

The VAs' have been invited and the prizes are ready, we look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

If you need charts and great CYYZ scenery for FS9/FSX (AES supported) please visit our website - www.czyz.ca

Cheers,

Gary

Gary Feddema

Toronto FIR Chief

-----------------------

Like Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

Great Job by CZYZ FIR.

Event was a lot of fun and ATC services were excellent!

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Gary Feddema 1032654
Posted
Posted

It is with great pleasure that I take in announcing the grand prize winners for Toronto FIRs "Toronto Tension Convention" are Steve Ankers, and Jim Wilkinson. With both gentlemen successfully completing two legs to and from Toronto during the event, helped earned them their chances to win in the random draw at the end of the night.

Once again Congratulations guys!!

Thanks to each and everyone who came out during the Toronto Tension Convention and helped make this event a great success. We were able to bring in and out over 150 flight between 23z-03z.

From everyone here at Toronto(CZYZ), thanks for the great support and we hope to see everyone out again next month!

Gary.

Gary Feddema

Toronto FIR Chief

-----------------------

Like Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter