You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Computer Software Questions

Josh Hill 1103956

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys,

Just a few questions... 1) Does anyone have the GeForce GTX 460 graphics card? If so, How is it? Is it worth upgrading from the GTS 250 to the GTX 460?

Secondly, I have an iBuypower computer, I want to know if I can overclock it. How do I know if it's locked or not?

Thanks!

Josh Hill

Denver ARTCC | C1 | Mentor

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Don't know about 1, but for 2, what's your processor, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you mean that and not your graphics card?

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Hey Guys,

Just a few questions... 1) Does anyone have the GeForce GTX 460 graphics card? If so, How is it? Is it worth upgrading from the GTS 250 to the GTX 460?

Secondly, I have an iBuypower computer, I want to know if I can overclock it. How do I know if it's locked or not?

Thanks!

I have a GTX460. Currently, I am having issues with it, as well as a lot of others with Fermi-based cards, but it does seem a bit sporadic. Have a read of Daniel Brennan's thread for info and links to those having problems at nVidia's forums.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=53872

Second, I have never heard of iBuyPower. I've built my own PCs since 1997. I found out the hard way that some name brands really suck (my parents bought an Acer back in '95. back then, only Acer hardware could go into it.. last name brand computer they and I ever bought).

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted
Don't know about 1, but for 2, what's your processor, [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you mean that and not your graphics card?

Yes, I mean the processor. It's an Intel Core i5-650 3.2 GHz.

I have a GTX460. Currently, I am having issues with it, as well as a lot of others with Fermi-based cards, but it does seem a bit sporadic. Have a read of Daniel Brennan's thread for info and links to those having problems at nVidia's forums.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=53872

Second, I have never heard of iBuyPower. I've built my own PCs since 1997. I found out the hard way that some name brands really suck (my parents bought an Acer back in '95. back then, only Acer hardware could go into it.. last name brand computer they and I ever bought).

Thanks for that information about that Graphics Card. What kind of problems are you having exactly? Secondly, iBuypower is a great company. I love their computers. I haven't had a problem with them yet. Here is a link to their website. http://www.ibuypower.com/

Josh Hill

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

The core i5 is locked, at least the multiplier. Intel isn't great for OC, AMD is a bit better.

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted

Is there any way to unlock it?

Josh Hill

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I don't believe so, you can take a look and try to see if it's unlocked. That would be in the BIOS.

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted

Yeah, for some reason I can't seem to find the BIOS.

Josh Hill

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

What's your motherboard?

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I can't seem to find how to get into the bios, try pressing delete, tab, insert, and enter when you start the computer one of those should get you in.

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted

Well, none of those worked. Any others?

Josh Hill

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Do you have a manual for the motherboard, it will say there

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted

I will check, but I won't get that information until Saturday. I will repost in this forum during that time. Thanks for the help.

Josh Hill

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Not a problem, glad to help (:

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

The 460 1 Gig card is great... but I've heard of the horror stories with one of two of the drivers this year. I can tell you the 260.89 work just fine. Unless you absolutely need them as a cutting edge developer or your card is fairly new, don't install beta drivers. You'll be at least clear of Nvidia's string of bad luck.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
The 460 1 Gig card is great... but I've heard of the horror stories with one of two of the drivers this year. I can tell you the 260.89 work just fine. Unless you absolutely need them as a cutting edge developer or your card is fairly new, don't install beta drivers. You'll be at least clear of Nvidia's string of bad luck.

It's worse than that. The latest WHQL drivers are causing even more trouble. My issues with it started with 258.96. 260.89 didn't help, nor did 260.99. I get a lot of "Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version xxx.xx Stopped Responding and has successfully recovered".

BIOS flash on the video card and motherboard don't help it. an OS reinstall isn't the answer either, as the same 260.99 drivers work perfectly with my 8800GT. So it is definitely either a driver issue, or a hardware issue. So far, nVidia has been completely quiet about it.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information. Is there a different type of Graphics Card brand I should use?

Josh Hill

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Well the 460 isn't the pack leader so I suppose you could go with an ATI 6870 which is almost in the same price range. But as bad as these Nvidia problems are the chances they will effect you are fairly low. But if they do as Brad pointed out theres very little you or even Nvidia can do about it until they figure out what the problem is in the first place.

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted

Ok, I'm going to check out that ATI brand. I haven't had a problem at all with my GTS 250 yet.

Josh Hill

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted
Do you have a manual for the motherboard, it will say there

I found the Motherboard Manual. Where can I find if it's locked or not?

Josh Hill

Josh Hill 1103956
Posted
Posted

Nevermind, I got into the BIOS.

Josh Hill

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Congrats!