You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

iMac 27 inch

Martin Leat 860888

Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

Morning,

Just about to buy an iMac after being so impressed with my Macbook Pro and wanted to know if anyone has been running FS/Euroscope in it and to what result . In bootcamp are you using Windows 7 or Vista ?

The Spec is -

2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB

2TB Serial ATA Drive

8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Regards,

Martin Leat

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Martin,

just bought exactly the same one with that specs to be prepared for X-Plane 10. On my Mac partition, I am currently running X-Plane 9 and are overwhelmed by the performance - even photo realistic textures do not cause any problem anymore.

Via Bootcamp, I am now running Windows 7. Because I was fascinated by the new FS2Crew Voice Commander Series, I installed FSX on this Windows partition. I am not using it very often (X-Plane is still my favorite Sim), but when I do, I am usually flying the Wilco 737 with Active Sky, FS2Crew Voice Commander, Aerosoft sceneries. I did not note any framerate figures, but everything is very smooth.

Euroscope obviously is running without any problems, but I guess nobody would have expected any performance issues with it.

My only concern is that lately Windows7 crashed quite frequently with a Bluescreen during controlling. At first, I had the impression it happens when I am running the awesome CPLDC tool by Hoppie additionally, but lately it happend even without it. Maybe a factor might be that I had to change the system language from German to English in order to run FS2Crew Voice Commander, but that's just a guess and needs further investigation.

Maybe some Windows7 addicted guys can tell you more about the stability of that OS - as mentioned, I am rather a Mac boy and just run Windows from time to time.

Oh, and maybe another sidenote: You will know that you can also run Windows via Parallels or VMWare. I have bought both, but found out, that for me running Windows native is the better way. So I usually go via Bootcamp.

Kind regards

Alex

Edited by Guest

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

Rauno Maisa 1018208
Posted
Posted

Just asking, wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to buy a PC of a similar configuration but for half the price? Change that 5750 to a 5850 and you'll have a winner in FSX, otherwise, a bit weak.

Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

Alex- Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail - much as I expected that all would run fine - Do you have yoke/pedals, if so how do they run?

Rauno - I guess I want the best of both worlds really . A good FS machine/ Controlling machine and then the rest that mac has to offer in its operating system!

Anyone else with feedback please post !

Martin Leat

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

Affirm, I use CH Yoke and Pedals. They work both with X-Plane on Mac OS and with FSX on Windows7.

Alex

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

Josh Thompson 1176868
Posted
Posted

Im running fs2004 with loads of add-ons on my 27in iMAC and absolutely love it. Im running everything maxed out and getting perfect frames. Im using Vista on bootcamp.

220pxcontinentalconnect.png

Josh Thompson

First Officer Colgan Air

Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

Sounding good guys !

Martin Leat

• 4 weeks later...
Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

For info Its all now up and running sweet!

Martin Leat

Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted

Could have saved 1000 bucks and went with a 10x better PC.

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

But then I would not have a Mac for the day to day stuff which is far superior that Windows.

Martin Leat

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted
Could have saved 1000 bucks and went with a 10x better PC.

It's not just a matter of opinion Ryan.

Martin might run some proprietory applications for something outside of VATSIM. As he states, the purposes of his Mac is to run applications or such that are handled in a far superior manner than windows.

Each to their own.

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

• 10 months later...
john fautley 1176199
Posted
Posted

Hi Martin. Totally different subject, but are you the same Martin that I know, with sisters Cheryl and Wendy?

Regards.

John

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Odd this turned into a mac vs pc thread when the ati 5750 was in question.

john fautley 1176199
Posted
Posted
But then I would not have a Mac for the day to day stuff which is far superior that Windows.

Hi Martin. Are you the same Martin Leat that has sisters Cheryl and Wendy? If you are please contact me at email - [email protected] - as I would dearly like to speak to you again.

Cheers

John