You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Will the ATI Radeon 4870x2 Run FSX?

Trent Smith

Trent Smith
Posted
Posted

I am looking to Buy a New Computer Tomorrow but I have seen mixed reviews on this Video Card. Here are the Specs Of the Computer I want to buy.

Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 CPU - 3.2 GHz base speed, turbo to 3.46 GHz; tested at 4.0 GHz

Intel Extreme CPU cooler, plus active northbridge cooler

Intel Desktop Board DX58SO "Smackover" - full ATX enthusiast motherboard, Socket 1366, triple-channel RAM up to 1866 MHz officially supported, two full PCIe 2.0 x16 slots with SLI and CrossFire support plus a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot that is open-ended capable of hosting a third graphics card, onboard Intel SATA plus third-party eSATA, onboard IEEE-1394 "FireWire", onboard High-Definition Audio, onboard Intel Gigabit Ethernet.

Crucial low-latency DDR3-1333 RAM with heatspreaders, 3x2 GB for 6 GB total - tested at 1600 MHz.

Antec Three Hundred ch[Mod - Happy Thoughts]is - Full ATX motherboard support, bottom-mount power supply, 140 mm speed-control fan on top, 2x120 mm speed-control fans on side panel and rear, mount points for two front-mount 120 mm fans. Front-panel audio and USB, 3 x 5.25" external drive bays, 6 x 3.5" internal drive bays.

Asus ATI Radeon 4870X2 video card w/ 2 GB video RAM

Enermax MODU 82+ 625W power supply with 4x8-pin PCIe power on modular cables, plus many other modular cables. More than enough to power the full system.

Dual Western Digital Raptor 10000 RPM hard drives, configured in RAID-0.

DVD RW drive.

Windows Vista Ultimate full retail plus Windows 7 Professional upgrade included.

I just want to make sure I don't waste my money and get heartbroken over thinking I will be able to finally run FSX and then it doesnt work. People have said that this card doesnt work with clouds and cripples the computer into low FPS. Can Anyone verify this?

Will These Specs run FSX Well or am I wasting my time?

Thanks So Much for taking the time to read!

Rauno Maisa 1018208
Posted
Posted

If your PSU can handle the two cores of the x2, then yes, it will run FSX with a fair amount of addons and sliders way to the right. Your HDD is fast, which is good for loading the textures, mine is slow as hell and sometimes pulls the FPS down.

I'm running a slightly weaker system, which lacks the power to support the x2's second core, so I'm running it single. It runs on one core on the 750w, if I hook up another supply to the gfx card, it will run dualcored and FSX is staying in the limiters.

C2Q Q9450 2.66GHz @ 3.4 GHz

A-Data Extreme 1066+ @ 1066 2x2gb

Standard P5Q mobo

Sapphire 4870x2

Chieftec 750w modular PSU

WD10EACS hdd

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Trent: I would advise looking into the i7-2600k and an Nvidia 460/570/580 if your looking to spend that kind of money on an extreme chip. As good as it is it will be eclipsed this time monday by a fairly entry level priced chip, plus the Nvidia 580 will take you that much further in performance.

Rauno Maisa 1018208
Posted
Posted

Erhan, the 580 is also a lot more expensive, as you can find an x2 for around 100$ - 200$, used of course. New ones cost the same as they did when I bought mine. Somewhere around 600$.

• 4 weeks later...
Ryan Whitford 995253
Posted
Posted
If your PSU can handle the two cores of the x2, then yes, it will run FSX with a fair amount of addons and sliders way to the right. Your HDD is fast, which is good for loading the textures, mine is slow as hell and sometimes pulls the FPS down.

I'm running a slightly weaker system, which lacks the power to support the x2's second core, so I'm running it single. It runs on one core on the 750w, if I hook up another supply to the gfx card, it will run dualcored and FSX is staying in the limiters.

C2Q Q9450 2.66GHz @ 3.4 GHz

A-Data Extreme 1066+ @ 1066 2x2gb

Standard P5Q mobo

Sapphire 4870x2

Chieftec 750w modular PSU

WD10EACS hdd

FSX Cant handle two GFX's cards.

http://www.allegiantva.org Join if you have skill!

wideloadwhitford.png

allegiantvabanner.png

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)

Intel i7 2600k 4.2 Ghz

Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600

750 WD

Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB

Rauno Maisa 1018208
Posted
Posted

I suppose you don't understand the essence of the 4870x2. It runs as a single but it is instead a crossfired 4870 giving all its power through one PCI-E slot and thus making great FPS rates possible

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Yeah it doesn't work as Ryan said... sounds good in theory, in practice it fails miserably.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Just buy one very good card, crossfire and SLI don't work with FSX. One card on its own will do the job.

Mine is a ATI Radeo 5700 series so about a year old and rund three monitors no problem at all.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks