You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

.apt file problem

Removed

Removed
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

It might be that this subject has been covered already.

I started making a .apt file for Monterey, California. Here is a link to the airport diagram:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1013/00271AD.PDF

I programmed that taxiway C intersets with runway 10L, L, M, N and 28R.

I generated a .air file having a plane near the executive ramp (south side of the field) and gave the command "taxi a k c 28R".

This resulted in the plane taxiing via a and k and stop right on runway 10L at full length.

Could it be that if the taxiways that meet up with the full length of the same runway have the same designator, that TWRTrainer doesnt understand it?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It's probably trying to hold short of 28R at K, which it should. What happens if you give it a .res command?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Removed
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your reply Ross.

The "res" command results in TWR Trainer sending me the message "Can't resume taxi while holding short of departure runway, use the "pos" command."

Using the "pos" command has the airplane cross runway 10L on K, then the airplane continues via C to full length at runway 28R and performs the lign up and wait.

I have a similar file for Oakland, California which has a similar scenario for runway 11/29 which works correctly, I will look at that fore more info on how that was coded.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I think I see what's happening. TWRTrainer will hold short whenever it nears the departure runway (any point on that runway, so that it can support intersection departures) but only if there are no more steps remaining in the taxi path. In your example, as soon as the aircraft taxis onto the runway at the 10L departure end, it then starts to move onto Charlie, but then immediately notices that it is near 28R, and immediately realizes that it is at the intersection of Charlie and 28R, and thus holds short. It isn't smart enough to know that it is at the wrong intersection of Charlie and 28R.

This is side effect of the fact that TWRTrainer doesn't handle it well when a taxiway intersects with a runway at two different points. A workaround is to create a new taxiway at one end or the other that serves as the connection between C and 28R. Perhaps call it C1.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Removed
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your help Ross.

Thats exactly what I did to work around the problem, I made a C1 and C2 taxiway on the respective sides of 10L/28R.