You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Visibility Range

Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted (edited)

Controllers,

When logging in please be sure to set the appropriate visibility range for the position you are manning. This will help with various issues concerning the network. If you login with the incorrect range, you will be asked to correct it. Thank you for your cooperation!

General rule:

10-20 nm for DEL/GND

30-50 nm for TWR

100-150 nm for APP/DEP

300-600 nm for CTR

Edited by Guest

RJ

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Roland Collins 800023

• Adam Lagoda 827397

• Norman Blackburn

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 17 posts

• Roland Collins 800023

Roland Collins 800023 7 posts

• Adam Lagoda 827397

Adam Lagoda 827397 5 posts

• Norman Blackburn

Norman Blackburn 5 posts

Popular Days

• Nov 15 2005

11 posts

• Aug 28 2009

10 posts

• Jan 7 2014

10 posts

• Nov 17 2005

9 posts

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Wilco!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

wilco!

Richard, maybe it would be a good idea to email a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts] notam to the network saying this so everyone gets it and we can save some work to supervisors all around the network

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Paul Heaney 879309
Posted
Posted

I posted this message on the ZSE Forums, earlier today. Thanks Richard.

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted
wilco!

Richard, maybe it would be a good idea to email a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts] notam to the network saying this so everyone gets it and we can save some work to supervisors all around the network

We will send it in the next NOTAM, we just need to wait a few more days before sending one. We don't want to end up on a ISP spam list.

RJ

Mike Roda 908206
Posted
Posted

Rather than relying on the honor system forever, maybe the next version of ASRC should restrict the visibility based on the position controlling.

Mike Roda

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted

Sounds good!

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted
Rather than relying on the honor system forever, maybe the next version of ASRC should restrict the visibility based on the position controlling.

We would like to try and go the education route first, that will leave some flexibility for people who might need a few extra miles here and there. Plus the new ATC clients will have remote sensing so range will not be a huge issue. They will just create second and third views.

If we can't get some compliance then we will go the tech route and just restrict it from the server.

RJ

Rich Lee
Posted
Posted

Posted in the ZOA forum.

Rich Lee - C3

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
If we can't get some compliance then we will go the tech route and just restrict it from the server.

Perhaps a combination of the tech route and education? Use the server to send a reminder to the client if, 5 minutes after they connect, their range is still too high. (Give them 5 minutes to set the proper range.) And allow SUPs to easily fetch a list of clients which have an invalid range set, so that they can follow up. (Maybe this already exists, not sure if you have to check each client individually or if you have a way to list them.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

ZID's got it down!

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Fred has posted it at ZAB's forums as well. Good idea, thanks Richard.

Justin Ingersoll 814352
Posted
Posted

You might want to add the OBS range restriction.

Richard, you're from Sacramento? My family is from there and I'll be visiting for Christmas, maybe I'll see you around.

Justin Ingersoll, PSMEL, Instrument

ZAB Training Administrator

MidCon P237 757/767

AWVA AWE1331 737

189.png

2670.png

Mark Brummett
Posted
Posted

I had an instructor of mine bring up a valid point. What if that instructor, or any instructor, is logged on as xx-xx-ins, and needs to have his range set to 600 miles. Or he's pulling double duty; working approach and instructing someone who is working center, when he will need to have that range to see the student?

Just something to point out.

Mark Brummett

Website owner, http://www.zkcartcc.org

ZKC Events Co-ordinator

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Those are not what we are looking for. It is common to login and find most positions with their range set to 400 -600NM. There is no reason DEL...GND...TWR...or APP need to see anything that far. It puts a tremendous strain on the network when traffic is heavy, people need to get used to the idea of always checking their range, even when traffic is low. If you want to keep the lag monster somewhat undercontrol, don't be part of the problem. This is more of an education thing than an enforcement issue. So far we have had no trouble when asking people to reduce range. It most cases they had simply forgot to check after changing positions.

RJ

Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
Posted
Posted

Yeah, in fact, I had no idea what the Range even was or how it was used until I saw this post...and I'm S3

Nick Bartolotta - ZSE Instructor, pilot at large

"Just fly it on down to within a inch of the runway and let it drop in from there."

- Capt. Don Lanham, ATA Airlines

Timothy Suckow 847603
Posted
Posted

ZHN (Honolulu) Center has now incorporated the range limitations into the online training. Even on Center, our border only exdends out to 330 miles. I usually have it set for 350.

- Tim

ZHN ARTCC Training Administrator

VATSIM 847603

4548.png

Daniel Roesen
Posted
Posted

Which ain't a problem, as you won't have too many aircrafts in this range. Not the range determines

the network load, but the amount of aircraft position data that has to be relayed. A 600NM range

with 10 planes in it is less of a problem than a 5NM range on GND with 20 planes on the apron. As

such, it depends on the traffic in your range wether a choosen range is a problem or not. I could now

man EDDM TWR with a 600NM range and produce less load on the servers than today evening (local

time) with a 50NM range.

At least as far as I understand the server architecture and network protocol used. Please correct me

if I'm wrong.

Best regards,

Daniel

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Technically speaking, you are correct Daniel, but the problem is controllers who have the range set higher than it needs to be for the position they are working. In that case, it doesn't matter if there is one plane at the far range or 100, you're wasting bandwidth. A GND controller simply doesn't need to see any planes beyond a few miles. Like Richard said, this is an education issue ... we need controllers to get used to checking their range every time they sign on, since it's very easy to go through a whole session on GND or TWR without even realising you have a 300 NM range set.

Tom Meyer 944876
Posted
Posted

I agree Ross. I was flying last night, and was picking up TWR and GND of an airport that I was more then 300 miles away from. With the amount of planes I'm sure where in the sky, I can only imagine what kind of problems it might have or did cause.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Education is nice, but I think eventually we're going to just have to enforce this on the server side.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted
I agree Ross. I was flying last night, and was picking up TWR and GND of an airport that I was more then 300 miles away from. With the amount of planes I'm sure where in the sky, I can only imagine what kind of problems it might have or did cause.

My understanding is that the controller's visibility settings have NO bearing on the distance from which aircraft will see that facility. The visibiilty setting in ASRC determines how far away a controller can see.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

My understanding is that the controller's visibility settings have NO bearing on the distance from which aircraft will see that facility. The visibiilty setting in ASRC determines how far away a controller can see.

Yeah, the visibility range that you set in the ASRC settings window only affects which aircraft position updates are sent to your computer, thus which aircraft show up on your scope. The range at which you show up on pilot's controller lists is hard-coded in the server and varies by station type. The user cannot control it.

Tom Meyer 944876
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys. I wasn't aware of that. Guess you learn something new every day.

Although, that now leads to the question, why exactly does ground and tower go out so far? There really isn't any reason I should be seeing ORD ground and tower when I'm flying in western zone of ZKC. I realize it might be hard to program, I'm just curious now.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

My guess is that the controller logged in with a TWR callsign, but actually connected with Center chosen from the facility type dropdown.