You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

new XP10 screenshots

Keith Smith

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

http://www.x-plane.com/pg_news.html (Jan 9 item)

The new neighborhood screenshots look lovely, and should hopefully forever put to rest the debate over 3d scenery versus *cough* photo realistic scenery. No more urban/rural textures of roads and houses...now, everything is a 3d object.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

wow, looks like theyre finally paying attention to the ground objects now, getting very tempting

didnt like the demo much, but its a demo, cant really judge it just by that

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

didn't like the demo of what?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the xplane demo. its not 10 tho. mainly didnt like the handling of the demo aircraft. rest looked impressive

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

Yeah, plus the demo ignores your joystick after 10 minutes. So you can takeoff, set the AP, and land. The only question, which has been asked elsewhere, is will there be obvious differences between rural and more urban areas?

2vuh2cx.gif

Andrew Miller 873677
Posted
Posted

X-Plane 9's graphics far surp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] FSX. The only area where there is not as much detail is the airports. Terminals are missing, but ultimately it's a flight simulator, not a taxi simulator.

Andrew Miller

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

And scenery development and editing is much easier, from what I've heard, in XP than FS. And here's a link for scenery to a good 500+ airports on the .org-

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=195

2vuh2cx.gif

Daniel Soltys 1077528
Posted
Posted

Im not too keen on x plane 9, a friend has it and i've used it before.

But the videos/screenshots of xp10 do look very impressive.

Daniel Soltys AWW404

CEO - Air Wales Virtual Airlines

http://www.airwales-virtual.co.uk

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

More at the bottom of the page, with v10 Tuesdays. They were put on halt in November (coincidentally, the final one being a G/A update), but they still look great. Link to first:

http://www.x-plane.com/pg_news_older.html#15September2010

2vuh2cx.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan Butterworth 1037842
Posted
Posted
X-Plane 9's graphics far surp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] FSX. The only area where there is not as much detail is the airports. Terminals are missing, but ultimately it's a flight simulator, not a taxi simulator.

???

Unless you've got some new and advanced scenery the stock FSX textures are far better than XP's... XP's stock airport scenery is a wasteland compared to X.

"Not a taxi simulator"

lol...

Last time I checked in order to fly one needs to start on ground. What's the point of only simulating the flying part? You're telling me you jump in the game in the air?

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog +courage+

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

Actually you can start on the runway or just "Get Me Lost," and depending on how you've set your rendering options it can be a barren with traffic levels around "Siberia Winter" or full with buildings, streets, and "New York Borough" traffic.

2vuh2cx.gif

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

XP's stock airport scenery is an absolute joke, and I say this as a staunch XP fan who's been using it since V4.

I was under the impression that it was going to be fixed for v10, with lots of great terminal scenery becoming stock, but now I doubt that will be the case.

Comparing stock scenery, however, is probably not representative of a typical experience for most people, though, because how many people never install a new airplane, piece of scenery, or functional add-on for their sim?

The question then becomes, how is the sim when augmented with whatever add-ons are available (either freeware or payware if you're trying to do a comparison).

FS9/X airport scenery (payware and freeware) is generally of a higher quality than what's available, by and large, for X-Plane. There are a few great airports for X-Plane, but FS9/X probably has hundreds of them.

The land cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] textures in xplane, however, seem to be of very high quality to me, as is the detail of the mesh. The mountain, desert, and brush textures are just awesome, imho.

V10 is going to take the urban scenery to a new level, too, based on the screenshots. You'll be able to fly low in a helicopter and be treated to high-quality, 3d buildings, down to the fences and road signs.

Ryan Butterworth 1037842
Posted
Posted

Don't get me wrong, the preview shots I've seen of 10 look incredible! I'm not an XP-hater... just like to fly my small plane, VFR and IFR, frequently outside of larger cities. And I choose the best sim for that - at the moment it happens to be FSX.

Maybe the guy who touted the XP scenery only flies at LOWI (isn't that the demo scenery with nice terminal and textures hehe?) but I don't.

I'm excited to see what the final XP10 RTM product will bring to the simming table. It's unfortunate that the CRJ project was cancelled - those preview videos were outstanding and I was sad to see its demise.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog +courage+

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

Yeah, the only default scenery that is similar to a package (And is pretty good) is LOWI. And really, I agree with Keith. Would somebody who has never added an aircraft or scenery to their sim please stand up (I would say plugin but there's a 90% chance if you are reading this you are a vatsim member and therefore have a plugin).

2vuh2cx.gif