You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Favorite Source for Approach Plates?

Kevin Romey 1154229

Kevin Romey 1154229
Posted
Posted

Good Evening,

I am a cadet in the USAF looking for a (cheap) way to apply the lessons learned by my professors and instructors as I work on my instrument rating. I think I've found just that. Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge on this website and forum. Not only were the pages easy to navigate, but the information and instructions to get started were presented clearly and accurately.

After a quick Google search I found that there were many sources for free approach plates online. I've got a ton of SE Florida plates already but I would like to get some experience at some different approaches around the U.S.

Where do you go to download your plates? Are all websites pretty much the same?

Respectfully,

C/4C Romey

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

for the US, plenty of sites.

airnav.com

flightaware.com

myairplane.com

fltplan.com

faa.gov (they provide free digital charts now)

skyvector.com

several others.

if you have access to an FBO, hit them up, they are always giving old charts away. specifically check them out when theres a new cycle, they need to get rid of their old ones

are you an AFROTC Cadet or Civil Air Patrol? CAP provides discounts for pilot supplies altho i cant remember if Cadets can take advantage of that or Seniors only

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

FAA provides up-to-date free charts. Link is on their site and chartfinder.vatsim.net. Navigraph sells European style charts for most of the world.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Kevin Romey 1154229
Posted
Posted

Thanks Darrol and Ernesto for the speedy replies. I am enrolled in the AFROTC program, though I have a lot of buddies who are also in CAP. I'll see what I can do. Thanks again, gentlemen.

Dan Everette
Posted
Posted

http://aeronav.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aeronav/applications/d_tpp

Bookmark it.

Many more goodies on the left side of that page. Unfortunately if you want the same thing for Jepp charts, it will be slightly more expensive than the above link.

-Dan Everette

CFI, CFII, MEI

Having the runway in sight just at TDZE + 100 is like Mom, Warm cookies and milk, and Christmas morning, all wrapped into one.

Davor Kusec 990407
Posted
Posted

Airnav is first for me then FAA is a close second source.

Davor Kusec

Air Traffic Director | Northeast Region VATUSA

Supervisor | VATSIM

990407.jpg

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

Jeppesen... If you are lucky enough to have a way to get them.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Anthony Pavlak 1058071
Posted
Posted

I like pdfplates.com since I can download each complete publication, and flip through them page by page like the actual book (except in PDF form).

It also lets you download grouped by state. And AFDs are available too. They provide a download utility if you want to queue up multiple files at once. They have different formats for Kindle/Iphone/eReader etc as well.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

I honestly can't see why anyone would prefer a Jepp chart over an AeroNav (NACO) chart. Maybe it's because I've been using them in the sim for years, but I like the overall presentation of AeroNav's charts much better. That and the fact that I'm not instrument rated, so maybe I'm missing Jepp's awesomeness .

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Jeppesen charts are fantastic... but hey, that's just me

New York ARTCC

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

Agreed - Jepps ftw. Couple reasons right away for my own flying:

1. Briefing strip. Much more logically laid out and much easier to brief in a crew environment (there's a reason the airlines use them)

2. Table with required vertical speeds to maintain a constant rate descent on non-precision approaches on each plate

Those two things alone make me a loyal Jepp fan.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Rodger Johnson 1052770
Posted
Posted

Kevin, I could possibly make your day along with many more people but according to Matthew they are lucky but in my point of view, they deserve it.

You mentioned that you are a cadet in the USAF. Well Jeppesen gives away free worldwide charts to US military members. I'm not sure if its only for Active duty or not but my guess is that its just a matter of time before your active duty. I don't know exactly how it works out but you download that application form and you add in your information such as your command name, rank, etc and they will give you Jeppview for free with worldwide charts. I've heard from people that are in my flight school you have to download airport packs individually. It says "may now access every approach, departure, arrival, terminal airspace, and airport familiarization chart", so I'm guessing ENR charts are not available.

Link: http://www.baseops.net/jeppesen/

I'm trying to get in on this because my dad is a recently retired Marine and going to see if it works for him. I also think NACO charts are in a much better format but if I had a free subscription of Jeppesen, I would use them all day.

-Rodger