You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ZMP Terminal Information Display System (IDS)

Andrew Doubleday

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted (edited)

Given the responses from the "Post Your Scope" thread within this forum, it appears that several of you are interested in the capabilities of ZMP's recently revamped IDS. With more and more facilities moving in the direction of having such tools as this available, I am posting this reference guide to our IDS implementation with permission of the ZMP staff.

Each controller within the facility is registered via CID and a user defined p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word to enter the system via the main website. From that logon screen, you also select which TRACON you wish to open the IDS for (in this example, M98 - Minneapolis TRACON).

The first page displayed on the IDS is the Status Information Area (SIA for short) as seen below. The towered airfields within the TRACON are displayed with the current weather report and recommended runway usage dependent on those conditions. You would also see the current ATIS letter if an active ATIS were set for those airfields.

IDS-1.JPG

Next, lets add an ATIS for Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport (MSP). Above the red Emergency tab on IDS, you'll note a small button that says "Add/Modify ATIS". I've clicked that and on the CRD (Command Reference Display) on the lower right of the SIA page, you'll note drop down menus have now appears to enter in the details for cutting the ATIS. So I've set this for the current runway configuration that would be most suitable for the present weather conditions at the field, choose an ATIS code, and click "Send ATIS."

IDS-2.JPG

The CRD then changes to acknowledge the request for a new ATIS to the host and within a few seconds updates on the SIA airport area. Everyone connected to the IDS would also receive the adjustments. The ATIS will also flash in a light orange color when an update occurs requiring system ackowledgement (in which you would generally state over your frequency, "Attention all aircraft, information DELTA now current at Minneapolis International, altimeter now 3037" or something to that tune.

IDS-3.JPG

Next we will submit a PIREP into the system for icing by clicking the button "Add PIREP" located above the SIA and Communications tab on the IDS. Notice that the CRD now changes to show the options for submitting a PIREP into the system. This also serves a nice guide for what information to obtain from the pilot in case you leave something out (such as forgetting to obtain a location or outside air temperature). I've filled this example out for an A320 departing MSP reporting continuous light rime during descent into MSP.

IDS-4.JPG

Once the PIREP is submitted to the system, the CRD once again acknowledges the request to the host and shortly thereafter displayed the PIREP under the PIREPs area of the SIA.

IDS-5.JPG

Other things to note from the SIA page (you'll now note the ATIS is no longer displayed here as I went back and took this shot later) are the TMU (Traffic Management Unit) section in which flow control information is displayed based upon arrival needs. A CIC (Controller-In-Charge) has access to the appropriate tabs in the IDS to adjust those as appropriate during events. Anything displayed in green is basically standard flow control per SOP, yellow would be added MIT requirements, and anything in red would be holding. To the right of the TMU window, the CRD will default to display RVR information for MSP (Runway Visibility Range). The other areas (Hot Board and Active Area Information) will display any special activities in use and critical information that needs to be quickly disseminated to controllers. On the very bottom left of the page (this is also displayed on every page), you'll note the transponder allocator system (we [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned beacon codes to aircraft based on destination and type). An aircraft heading to O'Hare would be leaving ZMP's sector and would therefore be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned a beacon code beginning in the 24XX range. I've clicked "OUTB" on the allocator and the system has spit out a 2420 code to be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned next in sequence. This system also helps to alleviate duplicate beacon code issues (ZMP runs on realistic datatag mode settings in VRC) within the facility and makes wider use of the approved code ranges [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to the facility through VATUSA. Next to the transponder allocator is the wind and altimeter displayed for the primary airport within this sector (in this case MSP) which is also displayed on all pages for quick reference when needed).

IDS-13.JPG

What if I need to reference a radar to give weather information to a pilot looking to avoid these areas of icing? No problem! I've now clicked the "WXR" button next to Add PIREP to view a live radar shot.

IDS-6.JPG

The next tab on IDS is "Communications" which shows you the sector IDS, frequencies, and names of positions within ZMP for reference when needed for coordination or handoffs.

IDS-7.JPG

The next tab is "Relief" which contains the relief briefing checklists to follow while preparing to replace a controller on a position or absorb a sector, etc.

IDS-8.JPG

There is also a runway change checklist when turning the boat (which we accomplished during FNO due to a wind shift early on from 12s-a-pair to 30s-a-pair).

IDS-14.JPG

The next tab is the Maps/Charts page which links us to night charts (easier on the eyes with the black background in a dark room) for all airports within M98.

IDS-9.JPG

Below I've pulled up the Converging ILS runway 35 approach at MSP for reference.

IDS-10.JPG

The next tab is Reference in which a number of charts, diagrams, and SOPs can be pulled up. This is one of the coolest functions of the IDS, having all of the information you need to work your sector centralized in one system.

IDS-11.JPG

Below I have pulled up the M98 TRACON SOP.

IDS-12.JPG

Now I have pulled up the Intersection Departure Distances Chart at MSP.

IDS-15.JPG

The Emergency tab on the far left in dark red is still in the works, but will allow a controller to obtain pertinent information on the nature of the emergency to be displayed on the SIA page (once completed). The Weather tab to the right of the SIA tab will contain more detailed weather information/charts for reference (once completed). The TMU and Supervisory/CIC tabs to the right of the Reference tab are used to amend the appropriate SIA areas by management when needed.

Outside of the above information, this sums up the IDS guide for ZMP and hopefully gives everyone a clearer picture of how it works. Credit goes to Dhruv Kalra and Logan Gloss-Ivory of ZMP for developing and coding the system. They will share this information after a few minor adjustments are made to our present system.

This is an extremely effective real-time tool to be applies towards use during major events. Coupled with a detailed event briefing and a solid crew it made for an amazing experience working FNO this past Friday night!

Questions/comments certainly welcome.

Edited by Guest

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Very nice, any plans to open source it?

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

That is so cool. Thanks for the tour.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

This looks brilliant. Gr8 work guys!! Can't wait to see this in action from the FNO pics!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Ryan Butterworth 1037842
Posted
Posted

Wow neato!

I spy my MSP tower pic in there lol...

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog +courage+

• 2 weeks later...
Michael Wells 988217
Posted
Posted

This VAT-IDS is absolutely astounding.

• 1 month later...
Marcus Miller
Posted
Posted

i don't suppose, there is a way for another ARTCC, to be capable of using this? is there? if so , how would we apply?

Marcus Miller

Houston Air Traffic Manager

spacer.png

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

I don't think the current way they have it configured but if the creator or whoever is in charge of it would be willing to open source it then yes.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

We're working on sorting out a few last bugs inherent in the system. After those are resolved, other facilities will be invited to adapt the system for their own use.

Stay tuned for updates.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
We're working on sorting out a few last bugs inherent in the system. After those are resolved, other facilities will be invited to adapt the system for their own use.

Stay tuned for updates.

Excited to see this!!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted

Awesome! Will it be a code released type thing or will it be a shared login type system?

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Michael Moskovich
Posted
Posted

Really looking forward to this. Thank for the preview AJ!

ZTL ML

• 3 months later...
Matthew Ramina 1182196
Posted
Posted

This looks great. Dhruv/AJ, when will this be released to zmp/other artccs?

Matthew Ramina:1182196:NYARTCC S2 Controller

td%3E%3Ch1%20style=

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Just talked to my roommate, Logan Gloss (he actually did the coding for this) and he says not much is left to be done. There is a slight bug with the time on the PIREPs that needs fixing (the 24 hour format is not working correctly and it's keeping PIREP data in there for months ago, which should clear out automatically) and the Emergency tab as well as some weather stuff needs to be included. Outside of that, whenever he gets around to fixing that up it will be 100% ready for release.

We still use it religiously here while we control and it makes a big difference in terms of coordination and standardization of procedures while we work together on position.

Logan has also informed me that he was approached by Gary Millsaps in regards to this program back in January/February time frame and someone from VATUSA was supposed to get back to him on division-wide implementation and nobody ever got back to him about it so I'm not certain on what VATUSA's stance is on the program and use at other facilities, but Logan is more than willing to share the program with other ARTCCs for implementation when available for release (hopefully fairly soon, we're aiming to have it fully ready by Northern Migration the end of this month).

Regards,

AJ

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Matthew Ramina 1182196
Posted
Posted

Sounds great, can't wait. It would be cool if VATUSA could use it widespread, but what are you gonna do.

I couldn't help but going to the website that was in the screenshots, and in the TCA list were some other ARTCCs. Are these the ones that the ids is going to be released to?

Thanks

Matthew Ramina:1182196:NYARTCC S2 Controller

td%3E%3Ch1%20style=

• 5 months later...
Maurice Neal 1075209
Posted
Posted

It's been a while, so any update?

8053.png

Andrew Eakin 1059903
Posted
Posted

I too would like to know how this is coming along. Last I heard, they were transforming it from a web based system to a program you would run on your comp.

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

I am not an official source, but from what I have heard through the grape vine is that the developer has stepped down from his staff position at ZMP and is no longer active on the network or developing the IDS.

Like I said this is just third party so don't let me crush your hopes, but i would not expect to see it any time soon.

The above pertains to United States

37.png

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted

The project in it's current state is dead. There is currently no outlook as to when, or even if, another iteration of VAT-IDS will be released.

Andrew Wolcott

ZMP ARTCC - DATM

nmvx9d-2.png

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

It's sitting in about three pieces right now as the developer (who happens to be one of my roommates in college) had found a new way to program the coding and fix some of the issues we were having. Unfortunately, he has run out of any free time to dedicate towards it between work and cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es. I'll ask about it again when I return this weekend, I'm afraid that it's pretty much dead as Awol stated, however.

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Any chance Brandon might want to turn it into a community project? We have already started vasFMC. We could certainly add this in.

RJ

RJ

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted
Any chance Brandon might want to turn it into a community project? We have already started vasFMC. We could certainly add this in.

RJ

The developer, Logan, is most likely not willing to release the source.

nmvx9d-2.png

Richard Jenkins
Posted
Posted

RJ

The developer, Logan, is most likely not willing to release the source.

Ok..fair enough. We asked...

RJ

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

For ARTCCs/FIRs interested, I have been working on an IDS for ZJX that is pretty similar to this but has a few other features. It has a modular authentication system to allow easy modifications to adapt it to any authentication methods. It will be open source. Previews are at http://www.zjxartcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=86.0 I will post more information when it becomes available, which could be within the next month. Right now I am finishing the pilot tracking (for approach gate estimation, and PIREP information by call sign [automatically calculates a bearing and distance versus doing so manually]) and polishing the interface.

Charts are integrated with Leroy from AirCharts, so if you're in a supported area you don't have to worry about maintaining the charts for the IDS.

The exact conditions of the open source license, a variant of the BSD license, is available at the ZJX forum link above.