You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[Feb 24 23Z-03Z]Toronto Tension Convention - Bragging Rights

Gary Feddema 1032654

Gary Feddema 1032654
Posted
Posted

TTC_640.png

Toronto FIR is sending out an invitation to everyone on the VATSIM network to come out and participate in the Toronto Tension Convention 'TTC'!

This monthly opportunity for pilots to put the Toronto FIR to the test, has been spiced up and put into full gear for 2011. So dust off your favorite piston aircraft or grab your Captain's hat and get yourself ready for a night full of high pace and exciting flying in the Toronto FIR.

How it works - This month it's all about bragging right. Flying to or from any airport in the CZYZ FIR will earn you a point. All the points that you earn during the night will be added up and who every earns the most points at the end of the event wins bragging rights. We will put all the names of the pilots that participate onto a sheet with all their flights in the TTC forum posts and on our website for all to see.

So who can do the most flights in, out, or around the FIR!

Join us Thursday, 24th February, 2011! from 6pm ET till 10pm ET. CZYZ will be featuring a full slate of controllers at Toronto (CYYZ) and full en-route coverage with Toronto Centre for the duration of the event. Also expect coverage at our satellite airports too.

Scenery: AES supported

Toronto scenery [Free] - Can be obtained at - http://www.czyz.ca/pilotzone/download

Charts: Complete FIR

Toronto - Can be obtained at - http://www.czyz.ca/charts

Gary Feddema

Toronto FIR Chief

http://www.czyz.ca

-----------------------

Like Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Sounds good. Can I ask some questions?

Your piece says "to or from" any airport: do I have to do a full stop and park, can I do a stop-go or touch-and-go, can I do a low approach to, say, 200ft above threshold, or simply cross the overhead? You'll appreciate the reason for this question.

If I fly VFR, will I be given the same access rights to, say, CYYZ as a 767 flying IFR? We all know that VFR flights can be pushed down the list…

If I fly VFR at Rule 5 appropriate height, and there is no local controller within radio distance, and I land (overfly, low approach etc - see question 1) at a gazillion off-pitch airfields, how is my claim verified?

I've always wanted to barnstorm CZYZ!

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted
Your piece says "to or from" any airport: do I have to do a full stop and park, can I do a stop-go or touch-and-go, can I do a low approach to, say, 200ft above threshold, or simply cross the overhead? You'll appreciate the reason for this question...

...If I fly VFR at Rule 5 appropriate height, and there is no local controller within radio distance, and I land (overfly, low approach etc - see question 1) at a gazillion off-pitch airfields, how is my claim verified?

Hey Alistair... I have checked with the people in the know, and as long as there is a new flight plan filed for each leg, then the flight will be accounted for. As such, a full stop would be required at each airport.

If you're looking to stuff the ballot box, I would suggest back and forth between CYXU and CYQS a dozen times or so.

If I fly VFR, will I be given the same access rights to, say, CYYZ as a 767 flying IFR? We all know that VFR flights can be pushed down the list…

All I can suggest is for you to show up on the day and find out! I know that if I was working the APP/DEP sector I would welcome everything...but I believe I'm scheduled for a CTR position somewhere.

TB

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted

I would say that you your best bet would be to fly beneath the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C (using the VFR Terminal Area Chart as reference) and call the Tower with your intentions. That way, any delays would probably just be in the circuit, and not the terminal controller trying to make sure you're not going to hit any of his traffic.

Jody Turner - I1

Toronto FIR - Facility Engineer

8942.png

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

I would say that you your best bet would be to fly beneath the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] C (using the VFR Terminal Area Chart as reference) and call the Tower with your intentions. That way, any delays would probably just be in the circuit, and not the terminal controller trying to make sure you're not going to hit any of his traffic.

Yep...keep it low and slow. That would work.

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
If you're looking to stuff the ballot box, I would suggest back and forth between CYXU and CYQS a dozen times or so.

Tim, I had [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that you couldn't count the same airfield twice. So pattern work with full stops would be acceptable? Doesn't sound like that was the intention of the event!

And as for "low and slow" I would do the "low" bit to avoid unwelcome ATC interference, but I'd be flying a 767 at 240Kts…

But if it's acceptable to rack up points without leaving the pattern, then where's the point in that? It would have been fun plotting a route for a 767 which covered the max number of (different) fields in the minimum distance, as much outside CAS as possible. Trouble is I'd probably spend more time taxying than flying!

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted
Tim, I had [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed that you couldn't count the same airfield twice. So pattern work with full stops would be acceptable? Doesn't sound like that was the intention of the event!

And as for "low and slow" I would do the "low" bit to avoid unwelcome ATC interference, but I'd be flying a 767 at 240Kts…

But if it's acceptable to rack up points without leaving the pattern, then where's the point in that? It would have been fun plotting a route for a 767 which covered the max number of (different) fields in the minimum distance, as much outside CAS as possible. Trouble is I'd probably spend more time taxying than flying!

Pattern work would not count unless you were filing a new flight plan for every loop around the circuit. As far as taxiing vs. flying, we have many airfields that would accomodate the B767 where you could almost guarantee being the only aircraft, and thus not experience any delays for departure. CYTR, CYYB, CYXU to name a few.

Lets not lose sight of the fact that our hard working EC, Gary Feddema, has secured these prizes to (a) encourage participation in the event, and (b) reward the pilots for their patronage of the CZYZ FIR. It's all in good fun, for everyone involved.

TB

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
Lets not lose sight of the fact that our hard working EC, Gary Feddema, has secured these prizes to (a) encourage participation in the event, and (b) reward the pilots for their patronage of the CZYZ FIR. It's all in good fun, for everyone involved.

TB

+1! Gary is doing a fantastic job getting folks' attention. And I was just trying to get some clarification about the ground rules, which I now have, thanks!

Alistair Thomson

===

• 3 weeks later...
Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Tim,

Thanks for showing an interest in my practice today! I had some issues with InputDirector so it took me some time to get back to you, by which time I think you had gone off. Just to let you know I wasn't ignoring you…

When I move the pointer from my second PC, running Plan G and FSInn, to my sim PC which is running in fullscreen mode, all four screens minimise and I'm left staring at the desktop. Not very convenient when I'm looking for a stupid little gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] strip, even worse when I'm turning on to very short finals!

Man, some of these strips are really hard to see, even when you are right there!

Alistair

(I have tried sending this as a PM but it looks like that doesn't work any more…)

Alistair Thomson

===

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted
(I have tried sending this as a PM but it looks like that doesn't work any more…)

It did work.

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

I had some fun tooling around northwest of CYYZ at 2000' last night! I didn't need to talk to ATC but did make a couple of calls for flight following (although several of my sectors were only 6 minutes or less, so hardly worth raising my head above the cowling) but I monitored ATC throughout. And I discovered that at 2000' Altitude in that area, I'm below the radar, so all my squawking mode Charlie etc was pretty moot. Vataware logged me OK, though, except for one sector, Barrie to New Lowell, which seemed to disappear somehow.

Also I suffered many disconnections, which is a pain of course but in my case the disconnections also minimised FS9 with a warning that more than one instance of FS9 was running… so I had to dismiss that dialogue, bring back FS9 from limbo, rejoin the lobby, reconnect to VATSIM - and why is it that this always happens when you're halfway through executing an overhead join at a nearly invisible gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] strip??

And ATC was busy! Hats off to all the controllers that I listened in on for a job well done (and patiently too, in several cases…).

Alistair Thomson

===