You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Primary Radar

Luke Cunningham

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

Having used the simulated radar coverage and outage for some time now, I'm beginning to wonder why more accuracy isn't depicted.

There is no real simulation of the primary radar but the ability is there to set the coverage functions? You don't get any primary return apart from the blip, the trail isn't replicating a primary return. In VRC using the park air mode, the closer the target to your visibility range center, the "stronger" that your primary return is, from what I can see.

Is there any chance in the next version that there could be a more realistic integration of primary returns?

My wierd and wonderful suggestions, as always!

Regards,

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Well there is a difference in primary/secondary direct radar return and what ES is simulating, a primary/secondary tracks. The first is a direct symbol from the radar, the second is a system track, build based on the radar return (in real life build by the tracker).

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted
Well there is a difference in primary/secondary direct radar return and what ES is simulating, a primary/secondary tracks. The first is a direct symbol from the radar, the second is a system track, build based on the radar return (in real life build by the tracker).

So there is no possibility of having the primary radar "clutter" displayed with the aircrafts trail?

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

No I didn't say that, I said that it is not what ES is doing NOW. A plugin can do almost anything

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted
No I didn't say that, I said that it is not what ES is doing NOW. A plugin can do almost anything

Excellent!

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

• 3 months later...
Tom Milligan 1047745
Posted
Posted

Hello

I was wondering if anyone had created a plug-in for the primary radar returns. I think it's a really good idea but unfortunately I don't have a clue when it comes to C++.

Any advice will be appriciated

Tom

Thanx TOM_OBS

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

I know Juha has one, which is very good.

Tom Milligan 1047745
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the quick reply Todor

So he would be the guy to get in touch with

Thanks

Tom

Thanx TOM_OBS