You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Supported Client Software

Anthony Lutz 1184279

Anthony Lutz 1184279
Posted
Posted

I've been flying YSFlight for years and decided to come play with the big kids. I tried FlightGear and didn't like it at all. My plane is always turning left, I can't define my own controls easily, and I get a choppy frame rate. Are there any other [free||extremely low cost] clients that will work with VATSIM? Or will I have to find another network or maybe even stick to solo flight?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

the clients for the network are free.

do you mean a simulator? network supports Flight Simulator 98 > Flight Simulator X, also supports Xplane.

none of those are free

Anthony Lutz 1184279
Posted
Posted

Yes, I did mean simulator.

From what I've been able to gather, I'd have to set up squackbox on something running windows in order to connect to the network, so I don't consider it a client for my purposes so much as an intermediary. Whether that something would be a virtual machine(less cpu time for the simulator) or a separate box(higher electrical bill) is still uncertain.

Though that isn't really relevant since apparently FlightGear is the only supported simulator that I can afford on my current income. So I guess I'll be looking for a different community, thanks anyway.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

there is a flightgear client being created, i have no idea where that is at in development tho, last i heard it was still being tested

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Yes, I did mean simulator.

From what I've been able to gather, I'd have to set up squackbox on something running windows in order to connect to the network, so I don't consider it a client for my purposes so much as an intermediary. Whether that something would be a virtual machine(less cpu time for the simulator) or a separate box(higher electrical bill) is still uncertain.

Though that isn't really relevant since apparently FlightGear is the only supported simulator that I can afford on my current income. So I guess I'll be looking for a different community, thanks anyway.

Hi, Anthony. You might not realize how inexpensive Microsoft Flight Simulator is. If you really want to join the fun on VATSIM and the $7-10.00 is too much on your budget ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000096L71/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1298076361&sr=1-1&condition=used ), PM me your mailing address. I'll drop ship a prepaid package to you.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!