You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

X-Plane stops Working when Loading XSquawkbox

Don Woodcock 1184681

Don Woodcock 1184681
Posted
Posted

So i start X-plane application, the menu at the bottom of the start screen shows "Loading Plugin: Squawkbox_VATSIM.xpl" and nothing happens----forever----.... I have to ctrl+alt+del to get out of the program. Even before I End Task I get a notice saying "Program has quit working"

I'm using a modem for network connection, actually an android phone with PDAnet...Still I usually have about 300kbps data transfer with this connection. Is this a network connection problem because of my internet setup using a cell phone? I've installed everything the way it should be as per the installation instructions.

I'm getting DSL in a few days but was trying Xsquawkbox anyway with my current configuration.

Thanks for the help!

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
So i start X-plane application, the menu at the bottom of the start screen shows "Loading Plugin: Squawkbox_VATSIM.xpl" and nothing happens----forever----.... I have to ctrl+alt+del to get out of the program. Even before I End Task I get a notice saying "Program has quit working"

I'm using a modem for network connection, actually an android phone with PDAnet...Still I usually have about 300kbps data transfer with this connection. Is this a network connection problem because of my internet setup using a cell phone? I've installed everything the way it should be as per the installation instructions.

I'm getting DSL in a few days but was trying Xsquawkbox anyway with my current configuration.

Thanks for the help!

Do you have a lot of CSL aircraft definitions installed? XSB can take several minutes to load them all if you have a bunch. If I hold down CTRL when launching X-Plane and tell it to not run XSB, it's several minutes faster to load. The difference is that I have quite a few CSLs installed, and XSB loads them all at startup. XSB without many CSLs installed is pretty fast to load.

By 'forever', do you mean a minute, 5 minutes, ten minutes? At this stage of loading X-Plane, your network connection has nothing to do with it.

8942.png

Don Woodcock 1184681
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have the default software installed with the latest updates. not sure what you mean by CSL aircraft definitions, but I have no addons or anything like that. To answer your question about time, I just tried starting X-Plane again, the start screen comes up "X-plane by Laminar research" with the Task bar at the bottom. Above the task bar is the box where it says, "Loading Plugin: Squawkbox_VATSIM.xpl".

I hit control after 20 minutes time of still being on the startup screen and I get the windows 7 notice saying "this program has quit working. Microsoft is searching for a solution."

Obviously something is not working right. I'll delete the original xsb download, download again, and reinstall....maybe that will work.

Edited by Guest

Don Woodcock 1184681
Posted
Posted

I deleted all the xsb files, downloaded again and reinstalled them as per the instructions...same problem as before. Hit control or double click on the startup screen and X-plane crashes? Not sure what to do now....

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
I hit control after 20 minutes time of still being on the startup screen and I get the windows 7 notice saying "this program has quit working. Microsoft is searching for a solution."

To do this, don't tap CTRL after it's loaded—hold CTRL down immediately after launching the app, and keep holding it down until you get the dialog about running XSB or not. If X-Plane still crashes, it's not likely XSB that's doing it. Also, be sure to check the log file in the X-Plane folder, it can be quite informative.

8942.png

Don Woodcock 1184681
Posted
Posted

Thanks Jordan-I appreciate the help on this matter.

I did as you said and held down Ctrl at start of X-Plane. I did get the dialog box asking if I wanted to run XSB...I clicked YES, then the program crashes to desktop with the same results. I tried it again and chose to not run XSB and X-plane loads and runs as normal. It's a head scratcher!

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
Thanks Jordan-I appreciate the help on this matter.

I did as you said and held down Ctrl at start of X-Plane. I did get the dialog box asking if I wanted to run XSB...I clicked YES, then the program crashes to desktop with the same results. I tried it again and chose to not run XSB and X-plane loads and runs as normal. It's a head scratcher!

Run it again, letting XSB load, and check the log in the X-Plane folder. It should be informative as to the last thing that was accomplished before the crash.

8942.png

Don Woodcock 1184681
Posted
Posted

I just had broadband internet installed tonight and XSB works fine! There must have been a conflict with using PDAnet with an Android phone as my modem....Thanks for all the help!