You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

.sct2 file creation / MapScan Geo-referencing help

Casey Diers 981110

Casey Diers 981110
Posted
Posted

Hello all,

I've been working on sector files for the VATUSA's ZDV ARTCC. I am in the process of creating a new one for KRAP (the RCA_APP position) based on an image file I stumbled across online.

Throught the help of Noah Bryant, I was pointed to a method for taking an raster image, converting it to a vector file, using a program called MapScan to Geo-reference it, and then spit that out into a program that created coordinates that can be pasted into a sector file. Here is a link that will help for those that didn't understand what I just said:

https://www.msu.edu/~soaresyu/Sector_file_tutorial.htm

Apparently Noah has used this method in the past to do other sectors for ZDV such as the more well known Aspen radar map.

Anyway, now I'm trying to do it, but when I Geo-reference it, MapScan appears to be offsetting the coordinates by about a degree and a half. This is really annoying because I'm getting so close to a finished product, but it is spitting out a really unexpected result:

I have it as a vector file, and I have my control points all set up. They are something like:

etc...

It is all set up and looks correct, but every time I hit OK, those points are more like

Meaning when I mouse over a point on the new drawing that used to be exactly where the control point was, the coordinates aren't the same. IE when I hit ok, it shifts everything like a degree and a half east and north. Meaning that when I export it and convert it to be in VRC it is off and therefore useless.

This is so aggravating because I have spent hours and hours lining up think, making control points, pasting in coordinates; and now it just seems like MapScan isn't working properly.

Has anyone run into any problems such as this one?

here are two pictures that might help to explain what I'm saying:

http://fsim.caseydiers.com/MS%20Problem%201.JPG

http://fsim.caseydiers.com/MS%20Problem%202.JPG

Between those two pictures all I did was hit ok, and it seems to have shifted that point by 1.8 deg west and 1.1 deg north. That doesn't makes sense to me. It almost seems like there is a magnetic variation or some other setting that is getting botched here, but I sure don't know enough about all of this to be able to figure that out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Casey (ZDV_CI / MTN1474)

Casey

ZDV_CI C1

MTN1474 / Mountain Air VP of Administration / Commercial Captain

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

Yeah Mapscan is basically pointless. I'll show you another way once you're done converting. I'm actually working on a video map for MOT (the other half of the Dakota ATC Facility co-located at Ellsworth, ironically!) right now myself, so I'll be able to walk you through the process I've been using at the same time.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

I did it from PDF files... could you be interested?

see here for an example

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

Hi Luca,

also we at VATCAF are looking would be very interested in the solution. Can you help us with some infos?

Kind regards

Alex

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

In this other thread you should find all the needed info and links.

Should you get some interesting results or simpified scripts please share back

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2