You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Contacting ATC...

James Lapierre 1185634

James Lapierre 1185634
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have connected, heard ATC, and saw other aircraft using XSquawkbox! This is a great start, but I am still on the sidelines because I cannot talk to ATC yet. I do not know what setup I need to make in X-Plane or Xsquawkbox able to talk with ATC using the mic buttons on my yoke. (Or, to talk to ATC period.)

Also, using the mic buttons get's me the standard X-Plane ATC menu. How do I configure my mic buttons to allow me to contact ATC without displaying the ATC menu? I have not found the options to do that.

Thanks.

James

X-Plane (Version: 9.62)

Mac (Version: 10.6.6, Processor: 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5, Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M)

James Lapierre 1185634
Posted
Posted

Okay...I have found an answer to my mic question. This forum explains the push-to-talk (PTT) setup: http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=47640. Followed the advice, and voila, I talked to ATC.

Getting rid of the standard ATC menu was as simple as Settings > Joystick, Keys & Equipment > Buttons: Basic (tab) and selecting the Do nothing at all! option for the button I want free for PTT.

Hopefully, this helps someone!

James

X-Plane (Version: 9.62)

Mac (Version: 10.6.6, Processor: 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5, Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M)

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

James,

I think docomeentation that ships would also include that information. There's other valuable information in there, such as how to check weather, how to quickly set the radio , and how to send private messages. It might save you some grief to read it end to end (it's a very quick read) to see what the software can do.