You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Not impressed with my GTX480

Trent Smith

Trent Smith
Posted
Posted

So far not impressed, using the latest drives and also tried the drivers with the cd, Im using W7 64 and have applied the Jesus B=0 tweak but even without it I keep getting corrupted graphics and this crash nvd3dum.dll which I know is related to nvidia. I have reinstalled my drivers so many times in the last few hours and have even done a clean install of W7, I have disabled Data Execution Program. Clean installed FSX. I am at my wits end. Does anyone have a solution. Plee[Mod - Happy Thoughts]e.

Stuart Duncan
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I'm a new nVidia user and found I had similar issues with my new GTX460 and the latest drivers (released 18 Jan IIRC). Not just in FSX, but even just on the desktop I had issues; freezing, crashing, etc.

I downgraded to driver 260.99 released Oct 2010 - fingers crossed, it's been fine since then.

MSMXV! placeholder.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

GTX-465 user with not so happy graphics, but the system is stable. First and foremost, have you done the UIAutomationCore.dll fix? This is absolutely mandatory for FSX to resolve any dll errors, not necessarily the nVidia ones, but you never know. Also, I hope you are running FSX under administrator mode, and/or disabled UAC.

What do you mean by corrupt graphics? blurred textures or total corruption of textures, as in a house being drawn upside down or flaps on top of the tail etc?

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Same issues as reported before.. there is actually a thread on this further down, which the following links to similar issues like this were posted:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=176132

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187401

All of the latest drivers don't seem to fix it, from 258.96 all the way up to the latest beta (267.44).

I actually gave my card to an engineer who works for NVidia, which they are definitely looking into this issue as well as the others reported by people with Fermi-based cards (This includes all of the -400 and -500 series cards). they know about it, are working on it, but have no idea of an ETA on a fix.

Since mine started to happen 30 days after I bought it, I've since reverted back to my 8800GT. Unless you have another video card to go to, there isn't much you can do except sit back and wait.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Brad: Hmm I had issue #1... I fixed it by cleaning the card and swapping connectors. Have you RMA'd the card yet? Hope you aren't waiting for drivers?

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Brad: Hmm I had issue #1... I fixed it by cleaning the card and swapping connectors. Have you RMA'd the card yet? Hope you aren't waiting for drivers?

I haven't RMA'd my card yet, no, mainly because of reports that people are getting back refurb cards with the same problem, or a card that someone else turned in for the same reason.

Instead, a hardware/software at NVidia who lives in my area put out the call for people who are experiencing these problems (since it is happening across the board (pun intended) with different models of the same spec and different manufacturers) to swap the problem card for a loner that is made directly by NVidia, so they can try to duplicate the problems. That's what I did. So they have the specs of my machine plus the card, so they should be good to go from there. Hopefully they find out something.

For the record, I was having the same problems with a GTX460.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

I had the same problem with a

Question: Is it, or anything else on your system overclocked?

Daniel Eamon Brennan - C3

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I had the same problem with a

Question: Is it, or anything else on your system overclocked?

That's part of the problem. There are people having this problem with them being overclocked, factory overclocked, stock, and underclocked. In my case, it was factory overclocked, with everything else in my rig stock.

I'm more than tempted to take the write off on mine, and opt for ATI. Jury is still out.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

When I first installed a fresh system and FSX on it, the damn thing kept crashing because of that nv3d DLL every time. I put UsePools=1 and a reasonable poolsize, and this stopped the crashing but reduced performance slightly. Then I put it back to UsePools=0 and for some reason - it just stopped crashing and it's been working fine since.

I have a GTX460, though.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't write off nvidia quite yet... very few complaints given the actual number of cards being sold. 2 threads for hundres of thousands of cards is a non issue. The problem hear is the board manufacturer and their lousy return policies. I say just stick to Asus boards and video cards and you should be fine. I was a little too eager to buy a 460 when they came out that I actually ended up with an EVGA.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I wouldn't write off nvidia quite yet... very few complaints given the actual number of cards being sold. 2 threads for hundres of thousands of cards is a non issue. The problem hear is the board manufacturer and their lousy return policies. I say just stick to Asus boards and video cards and you should be fine. I was a little too eager to buy a 460 when they came out that I actually ended up with an EVGA.

I seriously doubt it is the return policies, especially if Asus, Sparkle, MSI, PNY, EVGA, Gigabyte, and XFX built cards are all having the same problem. So far, the only ones not having a problem are the ones directly built by NVidia.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

You do realize as the current series the 400/Fermi has sold millions of units... 2 threads by the same posters isn't even a blip on the radar.

It could just as easily be bad soldering. The moment that particular bug kicks in is the same moment Windows starts to use the shader support. I'm sure switching into the "enhanced" SVGA mode has something to do with the spike in power consumption.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
You do realize as the current series the 400/Fermi has sold millions of units... 2 threads by the same posters isn't even a blip on the radar.

It could just as easily be bad soldering. The moment that particular bug kicks in is the same moment Windows starts to use the shader support. I'm sure switching into the "enhanced" SVGA mode has something to do with the spike in power consumption.

You're right. They have sold millions of units. And looking at those threads, they definitely are not by the same posters.

In addition, each individual manufacturer's forums are also filling with posts on the same thing. My particular board (EVGA) has at least 3 - 4 pages of people having these issues, so the problem people are having with these boards is more widespread than anyone thinks.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller