You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Sudden Loss of Sound - MS Windows 7

Daniel Eamon Brennan

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I've a jack connection headset which I bought to replace an old one which was on its way out which I suspected was causing this problem.

This problem can occur at any time and requires a shut down of all programs running. The problem is a sudden loss of sound which is remedied by closing down all running programs and applications and unplugging the headset and then plugging it back in again.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this before and if they could suggest a remedy?

MS Windows 7 64-bit.

The rest of the important specs. are in the banner below in my sig.

Cheers,

Daniel Eamon Brennan - C3

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

Question, Daniel.

Only thing I'm not seeing mentioned in your setup is your video card. Which one are you using?

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted
Question, Daniel.

Only thing I'm not seeing mentioned in your setup is your video card. Which one are you using?

BL.

The doomed NVIDIA GTX 470.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Question, Daniel.

BL.

The doomed NVIDIA GTX 470.

That's what I was thinking..

Could it be that the HDMI Audio driver was also installed when you installed the drivers for your card? If so, you could try removing those, and see what you get. They are probably conflicting with the sound drivers you have (which were probably already working fine, and I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming the headset is not a USB device).

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

• 1 month later...
Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

Only just seen your reply Brad - apologies.

I uninstalled those once I got my machine back in January.

Purchased a new headset (a result of my chair rolling over my other one), and the problem still persists - also updated to the latest sound drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

It seems I found the cause of the problem - Internet Explorer, haven't quite found out why, but switching to Chrome seems to have done the job.

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

It seems I found the cause of the problem - Internet Explorer, haven't quite found out why, but switching to Chrome seems to have done the job.