You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Magnetic declination

Artyom Maslyonkin 1099699

Artyom Maslyonkin 1099699
Posted
Posted

Hello!

I have a proposal to insert an automatical count for magnetic declination to ES-client.

It may be usefull for control big sectors, different FSS, where declination may change from point to point for several degrees and its not comfortable because controller see different planes flying with different degrees..

I have a fortran program which automatically counts declination depends on coordinates of point. This program could even work as selfmodule.

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Many (real world) area control centres will simply orientate system maps to true north to avoid this problem. If vectoring is required, controllers would use a relative heading rather than a specific heading (e.g., "ABC123, for separation, turn left 30 degrees, report new heading" "Left 30 degrees onto heading 324, ABC123")

David Zhong

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure a multiple magnetic variation can be used in one sector, you would have to distortions on the screen. The best solution I see is to use a average variation for the entire sector.

Jean-Frederik Dion 819740
Posted
Posted

In Canadian systems (NARDS, RSiT, CSiT and GSiT), such variation calculation is done on each and every panning. You can actually see the rotation occur if centering the map on a far away point. Coupled with a more realistic map projection this feature would give us a professional grade software for sure.

Artyom, how big is the database which holds the variation info? And how often does the data get updated? Can you tell us what source is used?

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

Problem is, it is not in the .sct/.sct2 file format so another approach would have to be taken.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Problem is, it is not in the .sct/.sct2 file format so another approach would have to be taken.

The sector file format is just lat/lon .... the magnetic variation has no impact on that. The same sector file data could be used, it would just have to be rotated on screen by a different amount depending on where the scope is centered.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

The sector file format is just lat/lon .... the magnetic variation has no impact on that. The same sector file data could be used, it would just have to be rotated on screen by a different amount depending on where the scope is centered.

Yes, that's how I meant it: Don't count on sector files because they won't help. You need to choose another approach. Sector files don't stop you from implementing it somehow different, but they won't help.