You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

HD SSD 120GB

Marco Nasti 1101342

Marco Nasti 1101342
Posted
Posted

I'm gonna buy a new computer to run FSX and play other games like Dirt 2, Battlefield and so on...

Obviously, I will use a lot of add-ons like aerosoft's airports, carenado's planes, PMDG's planes, Level D 767, CaptainSim 757, 737 PIC, megascenery, FSDreamTeam, ORBX, REX2.0, Active Sky, Ultimate Terrain (Europe & America), FlyTampa's sceneries, Flight Enviroment X and much other add-ons.

I'm thinking of buying a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 120GBs. Do you think 120GBs are enough for FSX and all its add-ons?

Later, I'll buy another SSD to run Windows 7 64bit on it.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Marco Nasti

• 2 weeks later...
Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Marco,

It really depends - an FSX folder can grow very quickly once you start adding in big scenery addons such as FSGlobal or similar. You SHOULD be fine with a 120GB SSD if it's solely for FS and not a system drive as well...

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

marco

You will need approx 24gig for win7 let alone anything else.

My advice by yourself two 750gig Western digital sata drives with 10,000rpm and they will be sufficient for all your needs.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

• 2 weeks later...
Marco Nasti 1101342
Posted
Posted

Thank you!

I think I'll buy a c300 128GB only for FSX. Later I will buy a 40GB or a 64GB SSD only for Win7, and the 1TB HD will be used only for starage and other games and programs.

Marco Nasti

• 3 months later...
Matt Porter 1157370
Posted
Posted

Get two 100GB SSD's for Windows and FSX and RAID them, then get a WD Velociraptor or Black HDD for other games.

Virtual WestJet | VATCAN S3 CZEG

vwja.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I run Win7, FSX, REX, UTX and several add-on aircraft on an 80 GB SSD. I'm almost out of space, though. I should think you'd be fine with a 120.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC