You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

When is VATCAN going to offer training beyond P1 for Pilots?

Trennor Turcotte 1181823

Trennor Turcotte 1181823
Posted
Posted

When is VATCAN going to offer training beyond P1 for pilots?

I just recently "graduated" from P1, was looking forward to P2, only to discover to my dismay, I must go elsewhere for it. One of the reasons I joined VATCAN was to progress through the pilot ratings, but I've since discovered to my disappointment, that VATCAN seems to be more about controllers, than pilots. Please correct me if I'm wrong or out of line here, but this has been my experience since joining here.

All of the "rooms" on Teamspeak seem to center around controllers, I saw very few "Pilots" lounges, yet there were loads of them for the likes of controllers, instructors, etc., and we plane jockeys seem to be getting the short end of the stick here. I was even told on Teamspeak that they were "more about controllers" there . . .

Please remember, without us, there is no "you," meaning, without pilots flying, there is no need for controllers.

Am I wrong and have totally missed something here? Please say this isn't true . . . .

If I sound confused, it's usually because I am. Captain, Atlas Virtual Airlines

trenbutton2.jpegavalogosmall.jpg

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

The P2 doesn't exist yet, you'll be able to get one once it comes out.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Trennor, you have it wrong!

I can't speak for VATCAN, but I do know that P2 is not yet available, and when it is, I'm sure VATCAN will be all over it like a bad rash!

I just recently "graduated" from P1, was looking forward to P2, only to discover to my dismay, I must go elsewhere for it.

No, you can't! It isn't available yet - there are lots of folks working on it right now.
One of the reasons I joined VATCAN was to progress through the pilot ratings, but I've since discovered to my disappointment, that VATCAN seems to be more about controllers, than pilots. Please correct me if I'm wrong or out of line here, but this has been my experience since joining here.

All of the "rooms" on Teamspeak seem to center around controllers, I saw very few "Pilots" lounges, yet there were loads of them for the likes of controllers, instructors, etc., and we plane jockeys seem to be getting the short end of the stick here. I was even told on Teamspeak that they were "more about controllers" there . . .

Please remember, without us, there is no "you," meaning, without pilots flying, there is no need for controllers.

Am I wrong and have totally missed something here? Please say this isn't true . . . .

You may have issues with VATCAN, and actually I do too, but the place to air them is in the VATCAN forum, not here. And good luck with that!

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Trennor Turcotte 1181823
Posted
Posted

You may have issues with VATCAN, and actually I do too, but the place to air them is in the VATCAN forum, not here. And good luck with that!

Alistair et al,

My apologies, I thought I was on the VATCAN forums, and not on VATSIM. I logged into Vatcan, went to "Forums," and ended up here.

Looks like it was a big OOPSIE. This wasn't supposed to be VATSIM . . . oh brother!

Well, for my first essay, I've made an impact! Sorry guys! Got misled somehow.

If I sound confused, it's usually because I am. Captain, Atlas Virtual Airlines

trenbutton2.jpegavalogosmall.jpg

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

Please, do elaborate. PM if you prefer.

TB

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

Trennor,

VATSIM has not yet developed the criteria for the P2 and above programs. Rest [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ured that once they do, both VATCAN and all of the other Authorized Training Organizations will start to develop their programs.

Regards,

TB

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Randy Tyndall 1087023
Posted
Posted
...Please remember, without us, there is no "you," meaning, without pilots flying, there is no need for controllers...

And the corollary to that is...without them (controllers) all we (pilots) are doing is flying in something very similar to the default flightsim envoronment. I, for one, value the controllers who do what they do and I hope in some small way they value me.

It's amazing (not really I guess) how the "tone", intentional or not, of a post can change the entire series of potential answers. Perhaps a better way of wording this would have been:

I recently earned my P1 rating through the VATCAN Flight Academy and really want to begin my P2 Instructions, but I can't seem to find a link or reference?

To which I am sure one response was all that was needed.

No one, not even VATCAN, is offering a P2 instruction program yet, but when we do we welcome you to attend

Your question was something like "Why can't I go see Katy Perry in concert in my hometown tonight? If I don't go she's not going to make thousands of dollars!"

To which the answer is, "Duh, she's not giving a concert in your hometown, or anywhere, tonight"

Randy Tyndall - KBOI

ZLA I-11/vACC Portugal P4

“A ship is always safe in the harbor. But that’s not why they build ships” --Michael Bevington ID 814931, Former VATSIM Board of Governors Vice President of Pilot Training

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Please, do elaborate. PM if you prefer.

TB

Thanks. PM sent.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

The criteria for P2 which is for VFR has taken a lot longer to develop because there is so much material to cover and VATSIM is working on a way so that the training and exams don't take hours upon hours to complete.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
You may have issues with VATCAN, and actually I do too…

Correction, with apologies to VATCAN. My issue is not with VATCAN but with a local organisation within Canadian virtual airspace. Thanks to Tim for clarifying that point!

Alistair Thomson

===