You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Windows and FSX general question

Tom Bergman

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

Not sure why this question popped into my mind but, when I load up FSX it switched to windows basic display mode or something like that. Is there a reason windows 7 does this and is there a way to make it not do this to see the performance differences?

Tom

Tom Bergman

Hemisphere Virtual Airlines

www.hphvirtual.com

Jay Gardner 1188630
Posted
Posted
Not sure why this question popped into my mind but, when I load up FSX it switched to windows basic display mode or something like that. Is there a reason windows 7 does this and is there a way to make it not do this to see the performance differences?

Tom

On the menu bar at the top of FSX, click VIEWS then FULLSCREEN. If you dont see the menu, press the ALT button. FSX will remember the last mode you used and will open that way next time you launch

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

Jay, Im talking about when you first start FSX. When the splash screen appears windows switches into windows 7 basic mode in the display settings.

Tom

Tom Bergman

www.hphvirtual.com

Jay Gardner 1188630
Posted
Posted
Jay, Im talking about when you first start FSX. When the splash screen appears windows switches into windows 7 basic mode in the display settings.

Tom

Gotcha! I think thats just the way it works, it does the same here. I have never even thought about it until you posted

Tom Bergman
Posted
Posted

Tom

Gotcha! I think thats just the way it works, it does the same here. I have never even thought about it until you posted

I thought of it because while switching from between full and windowed mode last night during my first flight with REX 2 it switched out and my frame rates went up by about 5 or 6, but of course i was just screwing around so I can't remember how or what i did. Of course the system was under a lot of load and would like to try it again when the system load is less.

Tom

Tom Bergman

www.hphvirtual.com

Kyle Rodgers 910155
Posted
Posted

Most programs that use lots of resources switch from the Aero-themed windows to the basic windows in order to be able to use the resources otherwise devoted to letting the Aero theme look pretty.

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.

tony moseley 1088954
Posted
Posted

it seems the computer that ran nasa control centre for the moon landing had the same power as good home pc today...and that has problems running a game (fsx).... the mind boggles

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Couple of things to check would be the set resolution. Make sure you have it matched with your desktop resolution. I would also check to see if you have the 32 bit selected, selecting the 16-bit may affect it a bit. Not saying this is the solution, but worth checking.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1