You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Euroscope on Mac OS X

Rodrigo Ventura 977132

Rodrigo Ventura 977132
Posted
Posted

Hi there.

Just to report that I've been using Euroscope under Mac OS X (snow leopard) for some time. It works perfectly, apart from a few issues:

- secondary input does not work (which I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume renders intercom inop), although output works fine (e.g., listen to other freqs)

- when a scroll menu opens on an airplane's tag, mouse wheel zooms-in/out, instead of scrolling the menu as supposed to

This solution is far better then using a virtual machine, like vmware, which was the solution I was using before. The resources consumption is rather minimal.

To make it work, install wine (www.winehq.org) using mac ports (www.macports.org). I've used the latest wine devel version, although the stable version also works (with an additional couple of minor issues). It is important to install the latest XQuartz server its official site here: xquartz.macosforge.org.

Has anyone tried it on Linux? Does it work too?

Best,

Rodrigo Ventura

Lisbon FIR Director (ACCPT5)

Portugal vACC

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Rodrigo,

Thx for this update.

The mouse wheel issue sounds quite interesting. None of the popup windows are real Windows' windows just some graphs painted by ES code. And therefore the propagation of the wheel action is completely ES internal code. Probably the problem is that both the main dialog box and the radar area handles the original message on their own. And while Windows sends it to the dialog, but wine sends it to the radar area. I can disable the second one for a test. Contact me on support(at)euroscope.hu.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Martin Rosenkjaer 968376
Posted
Posted

Hi Rodrigo.

I am currently running linux OpenSUSE 11.4 and having ES running on Wine as well. I have been doing so since 11.2 and on Ubuntu as well. In general everything have been working surprisingly well and theese days i only use Windows for Fs2004. Wine does not work identicaly under diffrent distro's but with the more common ones that has Wine in theire repositories it will work with a minimum of setup.

Returning to ES i do from time to time encounter that the main window reduces to 1/4th size at the top left screen hiding the maximize button but i expect that to be an issue with Compiz or X11 rather than the Wine emulation. Another issue i have started to have with 11.4 is the sound IO from ES to wine where it will simply not route it out to alsa or pulse audio, and sadly Jack wotn wire through Pulse in my setup. The only sound routing ive got working atm. is the foldback sound within ES for microphone check that works flawless. This meens that i have to use a second computer (a old laptop) to host a proxy connection but hopefully ill get it fixed at some point.

That said ive been using linux for a long while and the more i am able to migrate to it the better, so this will defenently remain my setup as long as it will work.

Martin Rosenkjær

Eurotest Staff

VATSIM Europe Division

eud_logo.png

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

Have just tried again after reading that you are happy with Wine

Under Ubuntu 11.04 (window manager metacity, no compiz; soundmanager pulseaudio+alsa) and wine 1.2 I experience the same window size oddities as Martin.

Maximize does not work but can be circomevented by setting the display size by right click on the maximize button (the left half/right half etc. thing).

I guess the proprietary EuroScope window border and resize logic is probably hardly to integrate into a different window manager than Windows. You can freely move the window around by ALT+mousedrag, but it only changes size by setting the beforementioned states like "top half" etc.

Squelsh and Mic tests do work (Wave had better sound quality than DirectSound). Sound out- and input are loud and clear

Working tags and and all click spots work. Using mouse wheel within a selection list opened from a tag zooms the screen, though.

Graphics performance is a bit worse than under Windows, but bugfree and stable.

So what really changed from wine 1.0 (my last try) to 1.2: VOICE WORKS without any cracks and pops! Hooray, EuroScope is usable under Linux As my only problem with VRC was crackling voice, I guess wine 1.2 made VRC usable as well!

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew Harle 948774
Posted
Posted

Hi Rodrigo,

I'm managed to install Euroscope on my Mac using Wine. It runs fairly well. I'm unable to install things in the "windows" folder like sector files, new ATIS files etc. and for some reason the tags don't display wake turbulence category, just a "?" symbol. How are you copying new files to the "Euroscope" folder with wine?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andrew