You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX tearing

Dan Giordano

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

hey guys, this has been an issue for as long as i can remember, horizantal tearing. i have tried everything to fix this. i just got my new PC and still have it. i have the vsync on in the video card, and some fsx tweaks that have not worked. how do i get rid of it?

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

anything that can be done with this guys?

Intel i5 2400 3.10GHz

ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB

4GB DDR3

windows 7 HP

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

A screen shot might [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist?

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i recommend just takin it to a PC shop, havem check it out for you. this one seems plagued for you, if its a new PC, its still got warranty

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

yeah just got this thing last month. im not on that other PC anymore.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
i recommend just takin it to a PC shop, havem check it out for you. this one seems plagued for you, if its a new PC, its still got warranty

is it completely new or did you bring components over from the old one....gpu perhaps

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Before you try to make a screenshot of something that is caused by the monitor's hardware characteristics or take your PC to a repair shop for something that can be fixed in 18 seconds - try this:

In FSX.cfg file, find this section:

[DISPLAY]

ForceFullScreenVSync=TRUE

ForceVSync=TRUE

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

hey guys, thanks for the replies. I took some screenshots but I cannot see it in the screenshots. I have also tried editing the FSX.cfg with both the word true and the number 1 next to each value and nothing worked.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Actually tearing is not an issue with the frame itself so a screenshot won't capture it. It's an issue with the FPS and you changing the camera/eyeview too quickly. Fixed frame rates and vsync help but you still need to get more than 50 fps for it to go away completely.

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

thanks for the reply Erhan, i will try to lock my FPS to 50 or above and see what happens, i have it set to 40 right now.

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted
Actually tearing is not an issue with the frame itself so a screenshot won't capture it. It's an issue with the FPS and you changing the camera/eyeview too quickly. Fixed frame rates and vsync help but you still need to get more than 50 fps for it to go away completely.

Actually, it happens because the graphics card 'renders' a new frame before the monitor has finished completely drawing the previous one. The framerate would have to be 60 or less and VSync has to be enabled, so that the G-card doesn't "send" the new frame before the monitor has finished drawing the previous one.

Any framerate below 60 should NOT be teared if vSync is functioning properly.

Stephen Cotterill 1016107
Posted
Posted

Sorry Dan, missed your second post… ATI ..

oops

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

no prob Stephen, I have read in a few places that ATI cards aren't the best for FS, not sure if that's true or not.

Stephen Cotterill 1016107
Posted
Posted

Without upsetting the ATI fans I gave mine away a long time ago as I just couldn’t get good results with it. Now it was prolly just a config issue but NVidia just seemed to work better and the drivers ‘appear’ to offer more support for the FS software.

Cheers

Steve

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

i get good performance, other than the fact i get a little stutter right before landing as i posted in another topic. not sure if that's the vid card or what.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Dan: all of those problem are normal.. I know lots of people write about solutions and optimizations, but the best and really only way to optimize a game or code for that matter, is just to have less code or less graphics to begin with. The other solution is of course better hardware.

Right now you only have an 8 core graphics card, when you should have at least 32 to match that i5. Some people are using 48 cores with their 480/580s and it seems you can never have enough. As far as retail goes, avoid ATI or AMD, they rarely p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] on the savings directly to the consumers anymore. When you do get the chance grab an Nvidia 560 (32 cores), and start moving those sliders to the right again.

Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted
Dan: all of those problem are normal.. I know lots of people write about solutions and optimizations, but the best and really only way to optimize a game or code for that matter, is just to have less code or less graphics to begin with. The other solution is of course better hardware.

Right now you only have an 8 core graphics card, when you should have at least 32 to match that i5. Some people are using 48 cores with their 480/580s and it seems you can never have enough. As far as retail goes, avoid ATI or AMD, they rarely p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] on the savings directly to the consumers anymore. When you do get the chance grab an Nvidia 560 (32 cores), and start moving those sliders to the right again.

interesting Erhan, i did not even know that, maybe someday i will have to upgrade to Nvidia. It might seem strange to see a PC with an Intel and an ATI/AMD product because i had this thing custom built. I never even knew that video cards had cores to be honest lol i just looked at the Speed and rankings according to this site - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

• 5 weeks later...
Dan Giordano
Posted
Posted

hey guys im back. Didnt want to start a new topic because my next question has something to do with this in a way. So I experimented with setting the FPS to unlimited and it did seem to help at high frames. I got really high FPS, i think I saw it hit in the 100's or 200's maybe 300's at one point at cruise altitude. But it was very sporadic , it would jump from 100-200 in milliseconds lol. anyway I wanted to ask if I should lock my FPS or have them set to unlimited? Right now i have them locked at 40 and if i do have them locked, what would be the best setting to have them locked in at?

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

It depends really on the aircraft and scenery in use. Only time I would stick to one setting is if you used nothing but FSX default. Most users blame Microsoft for their own incompetence so instead of optimizing the settings according to what's being used, they look for tweaks or magic values. Don't.. get to know your aircraft and sceneries and set your settings for the worst case scenario among that combination.

The only reason an Xbox360 title runs at 60 fps is because the QA department constantly tests the games and make changes accordingly.. you are responsible for that aspect in FS. Personally I aim for 30, if I know I can get quite a bit more I will just leave it unlocked. Otherwise the real trick is in the complexity sliders, and buying high performing aircraft and scenery from Aerosoft and especially Flytampa. I personally buy Flytampa airports even if I don't care for the actual location.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

nVidia, ATI, You say tomarto I say tomayto

It's a discussion that will go on and on and on and on, for me right now ATI seem to have the edge over my old nVidia that I had, and thats with an intel chip.

Framerates I have found is all subjective and following on from a thread this morning someplace else most of the discussion about frame rates is irrelevant unless of course one person is judging against another persons machine which is exactly the same in terms of hardware and setup re software.

So for me to compare against an i7 crossfired, 32gig of ram pc with ssd's, is a little silly wheh I have an i5 with one gfx card and only 4gig of ram.

But, and here is the rub, I am delighted with the performance of my rig with FSX, REX, UTX europe, Genx UK photoscenery and some complex Aerosft Airports and payware aircraft.

30fps locked and stable with unlimited layers of cloud.

Horses for courses as they say.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

• Board of Governors
Tim Barber
Posted
Posted

I read on a forum that FSX cannot make use of crossfired video cards. Anyone know if this is indeed the case?

When I was building my dedicated FSX machine a year and a half ago, I opted for a single ATI 5800 series instead of two nVidia cards. I have been happy with the performance.

TB

Tim Barber

VATSIM President

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

I had an SLi system and although FSX detects both cards it seems to totally ignore the second one. The explanation the X-Plane team gave was that the textures were too big in flight sim to be effectively shared across two cards. Any potential gain is quickly erased due to this overhead in resource management. So it's a flight sim thing, where as First Person Shooters pretty much all work out of the box.

Unfortunately we're tied down to a one thread/one cpu/one gpu paradigm for awhile. I wouldn't expect any changes until the next gen consoles start hitting the shelf and there is a significant change in both the hardware and the software. Until then we can just hope Nvidia keeps up the trend in beefing up their GPUs and Intel makes faster CPU's. Otherwise you really can't throw more money at the problem than the current 2600k and a GT580.