You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

CRJ200 released

Keith Smith

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

This is probably the most highly anticipated payware aircraft in the X-Plane world. The project was stalled for a while when they lost their software developer, but apparently, they found another one who was able to finish it off.

If you're a FS9/X user who has been waiting for a decent jet for X-Plane (full FMS, amazing 3d pit, full systems modeling, etc)...this would be the plane:

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=68

I don't work for them or have any affiliation...or, believe it or not, any interest in this airplane, but I am THRILLED to see that it's available for the X-Plane community. This has been sorely, sorely needed for YEARS now.

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

It does look fantastic, but 60$ (41 €) !

But at least it is cheaper than Peters A380..

New York ARTCC

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Yes, it's more expensive than most payware airplanes. It is also substantially more detailed then any airplane ever built for X-Plane, and has taken 2-3 years to build by a team of several people.

I'm not sure why you think it's a slap in the face....they're pricing it as they see fit...it's how the market works. If you don't think there's $60 of value there, then don't buy it. However, unless you've looked very closely at what it offers, then I would argue that it's premature to call it over-priced.

I imagine they didn't just pick a random number from thin air. It's VERY reasonable to say, "I don't feel comfortable spending $60 on an payware airplane." It's something else to imply that it's a "slap in the face." If you bought it with a promise of receiving technical support, only to find that they close up shop and don't provide any support, then certainly, that's a slap in the face. This is simply an expensive airplane.

Edit: I find it sad that X-Plane _finally_ gets an aircraft of this quality...and the first forum reaction is a complaint about the price *face palm*

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

Edit: I find it sad that X-Plane _finally_ gets an aircraft of this quality...and the first forum reaction is a complaint about the price *face palm*

And what baffles me even more is that there are payware aircraft for the FS lines that are as indepth as

this one is that are a lot more expensive.

I do not think this price is out of line compared to similar addons with similar features.

Infact, reading the product description and seeing the video's and screenies

I think 60 dollars is comparatively cheap.

Some other developers would have put this in the 80 dollar+ pricerange.

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Hi Keith, you took my post too seriously, it was merely a joke (apparently not so funny after all )

I'm sure it is worth every penny, and I will most likely buy it . 60$ (or whatever the equivalent of your local currency is) is still quite a bit of money in general, I'm not saying that the aircraft is over-priced though

imagine they didn't just pick a random number from thin air

I hope not !

Kind regards,

New York ARTCC

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

Absolutely good news. For me, just another reason to change to X-Plane when the new version comes out (and after I bought a decent PC for that).

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

This acft promises so much in detail and if it delivers, I am surprised it's only $60. It it certainly going where no other XP payware has gone before

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

Bought it within hours of release. It's absolutely fantastic. The best aircraft of any type I have ever flown in any simulator. Period.

Tim Krajcar

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Does this have failure simulation, full FMS? If so, I may consider grabbing a copy of XP.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Failure simulation, not yet, but the author hopes to have it some time. FMS/MCDU, yes. The manual is freely available on the website, give it a read. And also check out the startup procedure video.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Tony Koch
Posted
Posted

From the x-plane v9 manual:

X-Plane also has detailed failure modeling, with multitudes of systems that can be failed manually when an

instructor wants to, or randomly when you least expect it! You can fail instruments, engines, flight controls

or control cables, antennae, landing gear, or any of dozens of other systems at any moment. You can also

have a friend or flight instructor (locally or via the internet, working from an Instructor’s Operating Station)

fail components on your aircraft without your knowledge. The instructor can alter the time of day, weather

conditions, and failure status of hundreds of aircraft systems and components as well as relocate the aircraft

to any location he or she chooses.

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Looks decent.

Brian Cheung 1181193
Posted
Posted

D,

It's by far the most complete and "complex" XP aircraft to date.

Brian Cheung - 1181193

ZDC

1181193.jpg

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Define 'failure simulation'

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted
Define 'failure simulation'

You can lose an engine randomly and it's effects on the FMS, hydraulics, electrics, etc are appropriately simulated. You might get a hydraulic leak, another part might fail randomly and these failures are appropriately. The systems are actually simulated, not just effects correlated with button pushes. PMDG/Level D, not FT/Wilco basically.

@Brian True, but it better be EXTREMELY high quality for 60 bucks. Though looking at the Peters aircraft, I get the impression XP aircraft are overpriced.

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's a good compilation video, suggest high def full screen:

Darrol, that clarification helps. It sounds like the CUSTOM systems that they've developed don't yet have failure modes. However, as was alluded to, X-Plane's CORE systems already have highly detailed failure modes. I can tell you that the ripple effects of losing an engine are captured quite well in Xplane's core systems already.

If the FMS plugin was written to monitor bus voltage....xplane will take care of the rest. For example, I developed a plugin for another project that simulated VHF radio communication. The system monitors bus voltage and kills the radio comms if it falls below a nominal level. This means that if you lose and engine, which takes out your alternator (in a piston aircraft), now the battery is no longer being charged. X-Plane models the draw on the electrical system for every single component in the system (lights, flap motors, pitot heat, etc etc). The more load on the system, the quicker the battery drains. Your radio will eventually die...how long you have before that happens is based on how much you minimize the draw.

At the end of the day, my plugin only has to monitor bus voltage, which is available in the X-plane core system. If they developed their plugin the same way, then you're going to get a LOT of ripple failures thrown in without any extra work on their behalf.

The answer to your question, then, it might be a mixed bag in terms of failures. That would be a good question for the product support forum.

Edited by Guest

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Gotcha, would I be correct putting it's detail in between Feelthere and Level D?

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Sorry I edited my post since you last replied. Re-read it for more detail when you can.

I can't speak to the comparison of FS9/X products, I haven't used MSFS since FS4

Tim K was a FS9/X user, though, and he said this was the best he's ever seen (on page 1).

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Anybody know how this aircraft is FPS wise? Tim?

Thanks

New York ARTCC

Brian Cheung 1181193
Posted
Posted

it depends on your settings, but I get 20-30fps on my system at home. Phenom II X4, 2.80 GhZ; ATI Radeon HD 5570 (1024MB VRAM); 4GB RAM; etc.

I'll post my XP settings when I get home.

Brian Cheung - 1181193

ZDC

1181193.jpg

Tim Krajcar
Posted
Posted

I'm a poor judge of FPS as about two weeks ago I built a i7-2600k, 16GB, GeForce 580 system. So, it runs very well.

One thign to note is that unlike other XP aircraft, the systems and gauges on the CRJ are specifically designed to utilize multi-core systems. My system has 8 cores appearing to Windows (4 cores hyperthreaded) and all of them run at least 30% while I'm flying the aircraft. Love it.

Here's a thread on the official aircraft's forums of people comparing notes on FPS with various systems. http://forums.x-pilot.com/index.php?topic=2098.0

Tim Krajcar

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Ok well, I've bought it... it looks fantastic... I really need to take a look at the manual to sort everything out.. FPS Wise, no problem at all (maybe even faster than other a/c ?)

I managed get her running (electricly), then while programming the FMS, my XP crashed because I pressed accidentally on a few commands which probably messed it all up.

I'll have to look deeper into this tomorrow

New York ARTCC